Tutorial Poll

Should I run a defensive tutorial

• Yes, but on something simpler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Imperfect611

Starter
So offered up the idea of running a defensive tutorial that would be a little more advanced about packages and how I use hot routes and certain players in certain situations. Basically the kind of thought process when building a well rounded defense and how to run it. I want to see if there is any interest.

I was thinking maybe Saturday when people are on.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
You could always do it on Twitch and then upload it to YouTube so those that can't make it can still watch it. I only say YouTube bc you can embed the videos on the forum whereas you cannot with Twitch.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
To me just the basics of each of the main defense coverages is something that would be helpful to alot of people. You can do what they defense is best at stopping and then where are the weak area's. I would also focus on how you can tell what they are presnap and from there that needs to be your first read on offense

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Georgia. Simple is better. I think the biggest issues new guys have is getting proper numbers, gap control and learning how to stop the run without blitzing. Until they master those concepts, the more advanced ones will likely just confuse them more.

Luis3250

All-Star
Stoping the run is my biggest issue. I have suh and McCoy, and teams still run all day on me up the middle. I need help choosing the right defense, and setting up my players to control the run. Also not allowing big runs.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I was hoping you wouldn't see my post!

The biggest thing on runs up the middle is either pinching your line or crashing them down. Like anything, it's a risk. He could always be running outside and you give up leverage. But it's necessary a lot of times to help shut down the inside run game which is the primary run game for the majority of players.

Imperfect611

Starter
Quick tip, run 4-3 over and under and bring in Cody for NT while moving one of your star DTs to the guard tackle gap. Vernon on the opposite edge. You know he is going to run make it hard on him put 3 big guys to stop him. Below is a nice setup for your front 7 vs GA for one formation.

Capture.JPG

1: Rodgers OLB
2: Suh DE
3: Cody DT
4: McCoy DT
5: Vernon DE
6: Irving MLB
7: Jenkins OLB

He likes to run up the middle and power through so match up with him and make him throw PAs (and expect them) and quick routes. Make him win in the air. Pinching is always good you should use stunts in general, but a solid base d is nice to have and it can change each game depending on who you play. Mt.Cody should only see the field btw if he is over the center and you are 80% sure he is running.

Sorry Georgia.

Imperfect611

Starter
My move tbh since I am a 3-4 is to bring up TJ Ward as a pseudo LB and to have Kelvin Sheppard sub in for Woodyard and play close to the line.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Over and under fronts are very big in a 4-3. When I run a 4-3, I almost always use 4-3 under as my base. I use 4-3 over occasionally if I want to bring pressure form my ROLB. The 4-3 under in Madden is more gap sound. Gap control is huge in this game.

Imperfect611

Starter
Yup and imo I think you should make sure to set your starting OLBs so that correct one will be on the line more. I prefer my more skilled LB being the free runner off the line while others would rather specialize. I am always up for questions even though i run 3-4.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Some of you may wonder if simply calling a 4-3 stack and then shifting your LBs to the right or left is the same thing. It does place an extra LB on the LOS, However, the way the defensive linemen lineup is different so you don't get the same gap control.I will use the 4-3 stack sometimes though when expecting a pass and then shift my linebackers when I think it may be a run or when blitzing a LB from one side or the other. Sometimes I do it just to bluff too :)

Imperfect611

Starter
Or use stack when you are expecting a 3rd and 5+ draw or outside runs so you can contain. That formation is about bend not break. Give up 4 yards, but have fun punting.