Tips and Tricks on how to platoon guys and utilitze your bench

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Something that I noticed from watching the games and talking to people like BigTexas18 and Glen Cieske is that will change and put guys in certain situations and plays. So I thought I would make this thread for everywhere to learn more about the subject and what kind of ratings to look for when doing these.

I know last year for example I signed DT Terrance Cody bc he had elite strength and block shedding but his overall was awful. But I never got around using him in game because for some unknown reason they are still no formation subs in madden 16. So you have to do them during the game by hitting the R1 button and that's kinda a pain.

Just incase anyone doesn't know if you want to swap your backup LE in the game in your nickel you hit R1 then change it and then it will save that for the rest of the game. Of course you can change it right back after that play is over with if you want to.

Rewind to 2 FA classes ago and I told Chris they was a FA LB by the name of Eric Pinkins that he needed to sign since he was cheap and he has 90 speed, 89 acceleration, and 80 zone coverage. I can't remember if it was the AFC champ game or the super bowl. But the guy that won the game for him was Eric Pinkins on a interception. After they game Chris told me something like I knew he was going to pass so I subbed in Eric bc his speed and zone coverage. My point being if he hadn't made the sub via the R1 then maybe the normal starting LB doesn't make that play and he losses the game.

I think we all understand how to use your HB's but even then I don't think people will use there backup HB's as well as they could. I just want to make this thread for people to post questions they might have about wither that be in general or specifically about guys on your roster. What situations and ratings do you look for when you make these kind of moves. Post any and all questions related to this topic here and maybe we can help some guys out.

Xxclaywilliamxx dspbuckle Luis3250 pack1797 Blackhawk375 Imperfect611 rkjones217 oBUCKNUTo Jbek blahblahyea7 zbenjamin85 Tigers20 Paytonno1son Studley021 Jukemwr21 majesty95

Jukemwr21

All-Star
I swap out recievers all the time based on the routes being run in that particular play. Or last year to keep winston from being hurt i would manually sub Joe Webb in the game for option plays. Tex did the same thing with Brody Sam.

dspbuckle

All-Star
I use the right stick to swap out RB's some times (Spell HB option). Last season my starting HB Cox was and is a great edge rusher and quick if I can get him in through some holes but my backup Penn was a wrecking ball. When I knew my goal was to run up the gut I would swap him in.

I just wish I could remember all my other player's numbers because that's the only way I'll be able to use those options.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Some may remember on Xbox when I signed Elvis Dumerville. I only used him on pass rush situations (LB pass rush adjustment) and he was a key member of my Super Bowl winning team. Its harder to do a backup DT but I can see it in run stuff situations. The LBs are also key. I would use Wesley Woodyard like that a little too. Its definitely a tool that everyone should have in your tool box. It just goes along with knowing your roster and putting the right players in the right situations.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Here is how I use my backup HB's

* anytime my starters fatigue gets to yellow I will sub in my backup regardless of the situation

* if it's 2nd and 2 or less I will sub in my 3rd string HB. This is bc my OL is so good anyone can pick up a 1st.

* If i get past the 50 I make sure to give my starting HB a breather for a few plays so he is rested if I get in the redzone

*If I'm past the 50 and its 3rd and short a lot of times I will give my backup HB the carry to save me starter if I need to go for it on 4th.

* if it's 3rd and medium and I'm running a shotgun draw or 3 WR iso play then usually I'll give the carry to my backup. That's usually bc the defense will be In a zone and I'll get yards bc that and my OL not so much my HB skill set.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Here is how I'm handling my LB situation.

I have 5 LBs that can make plays for me. Thompson, Klein, Arnold, Hitchens and Gaitor. As you all know I run a Hybrid which gives me the ability of swtich back and forth from 4-3 to 3-4. Nickel packages use 2-4-5 and 3-3-5.

When I got to a 4-3 I want my best cover guys along with guys that have the best pursuit. So my ideal line up is Klein, Aronld, Thompson.

When I go to a 3-4 I want my best pass rushers on the edge and my best run stoppers/tacklers in the middle. My ideal lineup would be Klein/Hitchens on the outside and Arnold/Thompson on the inside. I plan on occasionally playing Thompson as a SS in the box and replacing him with McKinney at MLB.

When I set my lineup the game kinda forces me to do a 3-4 depth wise. So in the beginning of each game on defense ill go through and make the changes for the 4-3. Which also includes moving Luiget down from DE to DT and moving Torres to DE. From there I'll make changes depending on how guys are playing etc. like if its an obvious passing down I will try to put my best cover backers in the game.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
So here is what i am trying to figure out now and I'm going post this here so maybe others can read it and learn a thing or two. By now everyone knows how I run my offense I run more then anyone in league mostly out of I formation. So that leads both users and the CPU to blitz a lot and play a lot of cover 1. I only have 1 formation where I have 4 WR's in.

I was able to go out this offseason and finally bring in 2 legit #1 WR's in Calvin Johnson who is slow but still elite at everything else and Kennan Allen. But my dilemma is at the slot where I have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 guys.

DJ is the younger and more well rounded WR and he is the best route runner. He is your token madden 5'10 madden WR. But in preseason and practice Dorsett has just been on fire and that's even been at that #2 spot. Conley I think will be the odd man out for now but I would like to get him in also.

Trying to figure out if I just start Dorsett at the slot that way its a huge gamble if they go man vs him. The other option would be just to sub Dorsett in via R1 at different spots to keep teams off balance. I could look at the speed of CB's ahead of time and know where the weakspots are at.

DJ Robinson - 5'10
90 spd
94 agil
97 acc
84 cth
84 cit
81 route running
87 release

Phillip Dorsett - 5'10
96 spd
96 agility
92 acc
82 cth
84 spec cth
81 cit
71 route running
rel 61

Chris Conley - 6'3
94 spd
91 agility
93 acceleration
97 jump
87 cth
89 cit
67 route running
79 spec catch
80 release

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I would use Robinson as your #3. You could occasionally bring Dorsett in to keep teams off-balance. You could also occasionally put Dorsett and Conley outside in the I to keep defenses honest with the threat to burn them over the top.

Imperfect611

Starter
So I'll comment here new that I've gotten games in this season.

First is WR where I like to make sure whoever is isolated is DT most of the time since he is my best option so I want him in 1v1. Jordan is my most athletic WR and would be my standard number 2 if it wasn't for him being 5 foot 9. DT plays split end since he can get off press, if there is a flanker in 2WR sets it depends on the route whether Cruz or Jordan is in. Jordan is always slot when it is an option.

On defense I use 3 MLBs. Sheppard plays most run only formations like 46 while Woodyard comes in on other forms (great zone cover guy). Anthony is my every down guy and is great while alone in the middle due to his speed. His coverage is not as good but I user him a lot.

In dime and higher Jolly comes in at d line for the worst pass rusher. He doesn't play other dowas bc naturally he is a pass rusher DT so I just let him play his role.

Ash is a new addition for me and he platoons with TJ Ward at SS mostly. Ward plays a lot of pseudo mlb now while Ash is taking over cover duties for him in formations when he would line up deep. Ash is a FS/SS hybrid so it is nice to be able to keep him in this role for now.