Super Bowl LII: An Oral Retelling

Spayer419

Starter

Super Bowl LII was an historic event, with the Raiders capturing the Lombardi Trophy in their first year in Los Angeles, toppling the then 18-0 Chicago Bears. The world's biggest game pitted two of the best young quarterbacks in the league in Max Jeter and Derek Carr against one another for a battle of league supremacy. We sat down with members of the Raiders' team, front office and coaching staff - along with broadcasters from the game - for an oral retelling of one of the best Super Bowls in the sport's history.

Coming into the game the Raiders were favored by 8.5 points, despite Chicago being only the third team ever to complete the regular season without a loss. Media members cited the Raiders' high-powered passing game and strength in the trenches as factors that favored Los Angeles.

Derek Carr (Quarterback, Raiders): You watch it on T.V. growing up, and you understand the enormity of it, but there is no way to experience the circus that surrounds playing in the Super Bowl until you actually live it. We heard talk of us being favorites coming into the game, but I think our veterans kept us grounded.

Haloti Ngata (Defensive Tackle, Raiders): Our team was on fire all year, and we have some notable veterans, but I think it was understated just how young this group was. Our core is a fourth-year QB, third-year WR, 2nd-year receiver, 2nd-year tight end and rookie running back offensively. None of them had been in a playoff game before. Neither had guy like Joe Haden or Khalil Mack. So I took the responsibility of being everyone's crutch leading up to the game. I think it helped calm everyone down, but you could see the jitters when that game kicked off.

Shontrelle Gordon (Rookie Linebacker, Raiders): I couldn't contain myself, it felt like the national anthem went on for a day. We were very confident that we could control their run game defensively, and we knew that our offense would score points. We liked our chances coming in. I don't want to say we were over confident, but we did not think we would lose that game.

On the Raider's opening drive Derek Carr completed a third down pass to Victor Cruz. On the next play, however, he forced a pass under pressure for an early interception - his first turnover of the post season. The Bears took over with great field position and a chance to capture a significant momentum swing. But the Raiders defense held Chicago to a quick three-and-out for a field goal, with Shontrelle Gordon shooting the gap to stop a run play for a loss on 3rd-and-2.

Carr: That first drive was a disaster. I should have bitten the bullet and taken the sack, but with the adrenaline that high it's tough. I knew the ball was picked the second it left my hand. The rest was a formality. I just remember thinking to myself that I put our team behind the 8-ball.

Gordon: When the defense took the field I saw Khalil look at Derek and say, "We got your back here." We get in the huddle and the mission was clear. No touchdowns.

Khalil Mack (Defensive End, Raiders): You figure in those situations that the offense is OK settling for 3, and they don't want to turn it over themselves. We knew they wanted to run the ball regardless. In that situation we took it upon ourselves, as a unit, to win the point of attack. Shontrelle made a great play on third down.

Gordon: Never thought for a second a pass was coming on third down. Defensive line plugged the holes and I shot the gap. Game over.

Jim Nantz (Broadcaster, Super Bowl LII): You get a feeling on that moment that was a huge win for the Raiders. Yes they're down 3-0, but they've now proven that Langford cant run against their front, and they swing the momentum back in their favor. There were a few key moments in the game, swing moments if you will that tilted the pendulum back in LA's favor. That stop really set a tone: It wasn't going to come easy for Chicago.

On the ensuing drive the Raiders faced an immediate 3rd-and-4. A three-and-out would have given Chicago great field position to build on its lead. Instead, Carr rifled a pass to Evonte Patrick on a quick curl. The second-year speedster did the rest, exploding out of his route to evade three defenders for a 77-yard score.

Carr: I see Evonte bring the pass in past the sticks, and my mind immediately goes to the next play. And then I look up and he's racing toward the end zone. He's made those plays for us all year, but that was especially big.

Evonte Patrick (AFC Receiver of the Year, Raiders): It was one on one coverage with the linebacker dropping into my zone. Derek did a great job of getting the ball out quick, right when I hit my break. I turned, the ball was there, and the corner dove to make a tackle. Once I was past him, I knew I was gone.

Nantz: Another swing play. The Bears get held to three, and three plays later the Raiders strike for six. You could tell that scoring there really calmed Carr too.

Carr: I don't think we could afford a three-and-out there. But to answer that quickly and take the lead. We just felt real confident from there on out.

CbNIKnaUcAEJHQj.jpg

Patrick turns the corner, turns on the jets, and he's gone

From there the game swung back and forth, with the Raiders taking a brief 17-10 lead after a Bears' fumbled punt return, followed by Jeter driving Chicago down field to knot the game at 17. With just :59 left in the half and one timeout, Carr led the Raiders on one of the game's biggest drives for a field goal as time expired. The highlight of the drive was LA's decision to throw one more pass with :06 left on the clock, moving the ball from the 42 to the 29-yard line with just a second remaining to set up the go-ahead kick.

Jack Del Rio (Raiders Coach): We practice those situations every Friday, the one minute drill. We called the flood concept on the last passing play, which is a concept we go to a lot in those situations. Derek was given the choice to run the play, or check out of it for a Hail Mary if it looked like Chicago was expecting us to go underneath. We couldn't afford to throw a pass in bounds and keep the clock running. Derek made the right read, and Amari made a great play to get out of bounds.

Amari Cooper (Receiver, Raiders): Those moments are like when you're a kid playing ball in the back yard, counting down the clock for a game-winning play. I had the clock humming in my head and we executed like I knew we would.

Phil Sims (Broadcaster, Super Bowl LII): Jim and I had the opportunity to call a lot of Raiders games this year. We talked about it before the game, that these Raiders just had a knack for executing in clutch moments. I think that was demonstrated perfectly on the last drive of the first half.

Nantz: And what that field goal did for LA, it made it so they never played from behind in the second half. That was a huge tone setter, and yet another instance where the Raiders executed in a swing situation.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-15_17-1-37.png
    upload_2016-2-15_17-1-37.png
    464 KB · Views: 32

Spayer419

Starter
Carr and Cooper's clock management enabled the Raiders to go into halftime with the lead, but the Bears would not go quietly into the night. Getting the ball to start the half, Jeter took the Bears on a drive that proved to the world that he is truly one of the elite quarterbacks in the league. The second-year signal caller marched Chicago down field on a 17-play drive that took 8 minutes off the clock. But the drive stalled on the five-yard line, with Shontrelle Gordon breaking up a pass in the end zone. The Bears would have to settle for three and a tie.

Mack: That drive was deflating, man. Many times me or Aldon had Jeter wrapped up in the backfield, and he would evade the sack and find an open receiver. It seemed like there was nothing that we could do to stop him. But I think we took confidence from our hold on the first drive of the game, and we harnessed that in the red zone.

Gordon: We saw the Bears go to the slant play a few times against Seattle in goal-to-go situations. I read that before the play and pointed it out to Khalil. He dropped off the line to get a bump on the receiver, and it allowed me to jump the route and bat the ball away.

Lunior Haynes (Raiders HB, Rookie of the Year): You're kind of just watching from the sidelines in disbelief. We have momentum going into the half, you're just chomping at the bit to get back on the field. And then they essentially burn the entire third quarter on one drive. It was so big that the defense held them to a field goal there. It put the offense in a position where we didn't feel like we had to press the situation.

Instead of rushing to respond with a score, the Raiders matched Chicago by going on a 9-minute drive of its own. The march down field was highlighted by a few nifty runs by Haynes, and two big 3rd-down completions by Cruz. The first, a 3rd-and-4 completion to Tight End Denolious Hatcher, moved LA into field goal range. The second, a 3rd-and-14 strike to Cooper, brought the Silver and Black to the red zone. From there, the Raiders faced another third down, this time in a goal-to-go scenario from the 7. In a play that will go down in Raiders' history, Carr stepped up in the pocket to see no one open, sprinted to the left pylon and used an Andre Ellington block to find the end zone. Raiders 27, Bears 20.

Denolious Hatcher (Tight End, Raiders): I think years from now, that drive will be looked back as the drive that cemented Derek as one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. The plays that he made, the pocket presence that he showed was unreal. It would have been easy to watch Jeter on the drive before and force the issue. But he was as calm as he's ever been. It was just a joy to be out there with him in that game.

Carr: My receivers made some great plays. Denolious was essentially triple-covered on one of those conversions, and Coop somehow found an opening against the zone on third and forever.

Del Rio: We've seen Derek climb the pocket and run more than most people would think this year. He's done it around the goal line several times, and he's fumbled more than we would have liked him to in those situations. When you see him take off, you almost start to cringe there. But Andre threw an incredible block, and Derek snuck it.

Gordon: It was pandemonium on the sideline. Absolute pandemonium.

Nantz: That drive really sums up this game and the entire season for the Raiders. Whenever an opponent threw a punch, LA punched back and did so with more force. As I said earlier, this was a game of swing situations, and the Raiders consistently capitalized in those moments. That can't be more true then the Bears settling for a field goal off an 8-minute drive, and the Raiders responding by going on a 9-minute drive for a touch down.

CbNIw9ZUAAIlnRZ.jpg

If you had Derek Carr winning the Super Bowl on a game-winning touchdown run, you won some money

After forcing Chicago to punt, the Raiders regained possession with just under three minutes remaining. Facing a third-and-four and approaching the two-minute warning, the Raiders took a shot over the top against an agressive blitzing D. Patrick had his man beat by a few yards for what could have been a 50-yard strike, but Carr had to hurry the throw under duress and the ball was batted incomplete. Chicago would get one more chance, down 7, with 1:57 and two timeouts.

Del Rio: It was the right call. With the two-minute warning approaching, they weren't burning a time out if we run there. And we weren't picking up four against the blitz they were bound to bring. Just wish we would've converted. You watch Chicago pull these games out all season, so that definitely crosses your mind when we're punting at the end.

Jeter would attempt to mount one last miracle drive, and succeeded in converting a third down and later a fourth and five. But on the following play Jeter's bomb to Jeffrey was intercepted by mid-season acquisition Joe Haden, officially stamping the Lombardi trophy's shipment to Los Angeles.

E.L. Spayer (GM, Raiders): We missed the playoffs last season on a last-second Hail Mary. We traded for Joe mid-season, for Deone Buchannon later on, we signed Reggie Nelson ... we did all of that to atone for that play and shore up the secondary. I think it was very fitting, very poetic that Joe made the game-winning play.

Joe Haden (Cornerback, Raiders): It was an awesome moment. After everything that I have been through professionally, and everything that this organization has gone through, that was a moment i'll never forget ... my squad mobbing me when I came to the sideline. I'll hold that with me forever.

After taking a knee confetti rained on the field in Minneapolis, as the Raiders finally realized a journey that was legitimately three years in the making. Derek Carr was recognized as Super Bowl MVP for his performance, accounting for 270 yards and 3 scores to cap off a post season in which he threw 6 touchdowns and just 1 interception.

Carr: Best moment of my life. Its something you dream about as a kid, and you think about when you're in the league. But I'm not sure if I ever thought it would really happen, especially after what I went through last year.

Sims: I think this Super Bowl is really a testament to the Raiders' organization. Last offseason all you heard was talk that LA should bail on Carr after he missed most of the year with an injury, and failed to get it done the last few weeks of the year. You heard criticism of the front office after they decided not to draft or trade for a quarterback. But this team stayed the course, built around a young man they were confident in, and it paid dividend in the end.

Nantz: If you look at how this team was built, it's very impressive. That 2016 draft class, where they ignore the need at corner back and safety and instead say "hey, let's build around Derek Carr." The guys they drafted that year, James Jeffrey at tackle, Brendan Rucker at guard, Denolious Hatcher and Evonte Patrick .. those are not just some of the best players on this team, but at their positions in the league. Then you draft the rookie of the year in Lu Haynes to bring a run game, Shontrelle Gordon in the first round to swarm behind that defensive line ... and finally you shore up the secondary through some creative trades. This was a Super Bowl built on roster management, and I don't think anyone would bet against the Raiders being a contender again next year.

Patrick: With the team we have, there is no doubt in mind. The Raiders are here to stay.

upload_2016-2-15_17-13-2.png
Will we see the Raiders hoist the Lombardi Trophy again next year? Evonte Patrick thinks so

Jbek

Contributor
Well done, Ev. Its been cool watching you develop as a writer over the last seven years. This is some of your best work. Keep it up bud.