Shading your safeties

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This is a tactic that is still foreign to some players but can be effective in the right scenarios.

How to:

Prior to the snap press :triangle: and then left, right, up or down on the left analog stick.

Effect:

Up - Spreads safety coverage more towards the sidelines
Down - Pinch safeties towards the middle
Left - Shade safeties to the left sideline
Right - Shade safeties to the right sideline

I don't use up and down as much as I do left or right. I've found that spreading the safeties (up) laves the middle of the field too vulnerable. Pinching the safeties (down) isn't as risky but if your opponent has sped on the outside you could get burned. However, if your opponent is constantly throwing over the middle, pinching your safeties can help. If the throw a lot of corner routes, spreading them can help. Just be sure to watch the space the safeties are vacating.

Generally, I will use the shade when my opponent comes out in trips or quads to send extra coverage to that side of the field. It is also effective when your opponent focuses on a particular receiver often or has one specific deep threat.

Try getting used to using those as they will definitely help you with your pass coverage, especially against players who lean too far in one direction when throwing the ball.