Season 2: Vikings vs Panthers Week 14 - Post Game Press Conference

moniqx4

Starter
http://daddyleagues.com/PX1XB1/blog...s-saved-by-the-clock-to-keep-win-over-Vikings

Q: Tough loss at home. Looked like you guys were going to pull it out at the end, but ran out of time. Thoughts on your performance out there?

Coach: Games like this are tough ones to lose. We had opportunities throughout the game that we did not take advantage of. Defense I think played well today for the most part, they contained Newton, but we still gave up too many years on the ground. Offense got a slow start, we need to get out there and make moves on offense sooner rather than later. Then situations like this game got into are more likely to come out to our advantage.

Q: The McKinnon fumble was a killer for the comeback. He had some great runs and then gave up the ball. Do you think McKinnon has what it takes to be a starter at some point?

Coach: McKinnon is a good player. Things like this happen, and usually when you don't want them to. As far as him ever being a starter, always a possibly if we needed him to be I think he has the potential to step in and hold that position. He is usually very sure handed and just one of those plays he wanted to make something happen, and he got a little loose with the ball.

Q: Wallace had a great game today, pulled in 7 receptions for 152 yards. Definitely was the goto guy today. Even looked as though on that goal line reception he was cheated on the spot of the ball and not given the touchdown. You seemed to want to challenge and the talking with officials cost you some time that forced you to call a timeout that would have been very useful to have during that last drive. How did you see that play?

Coach: Wallace made a great play on there, it was unfortunate I was unable to challenge the spot, because I did believe the ball had crossed the line there. I was trying to plead my case with the officials, but wasn't successful, thought it was worth doing because had he gotten it , possibly could of changed the outcome of game by giving us the added time. It didn't work out that way, nothing we can do at this point. You try and make the best situations based on what you know at the time, not what might or might not happen

Q: Defense did a great job in the secondary, keeping Newton to only 142 passing yards. However, the run defense was not handling Stewart very well, gave up close to 150 yards on the ground. What was going on there?

Coach: Yea, I wasn't happy about that. A lot of miss tackling up the middle. We'll definitely look at how we can improve on that. Their offense line made some great blocks, we weren't able to get around them very easily. Being too focused on Newton probably helped that situation out as well. Strong run games wear defenses down and they did a good job of taking advantage of that.

Q: Game does not have any bearing on the playoffs for your team. Is there any lack of motivation by the team that might be affecting these last games of the season?

Coach: No, these guys are competitors regardless of season record. I don't think any NFL team worth anything, doesn't play at their best all season long. We want to win every game we step on the field and play and we focus on that versus our seasonal situation. From a coaches perspective, we see these games as prep for getting it right next season, and these games are better prep than anything you can do in practice or in pre-season. Everyone is at their best so you get an opportunity to tune up your game planning accordingly.

Q: Well regardless of this games outcome, it came down to the wire and those games are always exciting to watch. We look forward to the next 3 games. Next week against the Texans in Houston.

Coach: Thank you, we appreciate the support from the fans.