Ryan Moody Interview With Rex Dickson

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I wanted to post this video Ryan Moody did with Madden creative director Rex Dickson for you guys in case you did not see it on Twitter. I also encourage anyone who is upset with EA with the release of Madden or who thinks that the dev team does not care to watch this video. I've said this before, but I truly believe the Madden game is in terrific hands with Rex, Kolbe and their team. We've never seen this level of accountability and access in general from the Madden team. Unfortunately Madden kind of stumbled out of the gate this year. But they are listening and know what needs to be addressed and seem highly committed to doing so. Take a look and hopefully it will ease some of the frustration you guys have been feeling.

mycaddy

Starter
I think it is a nice interview great hearing from someone that has say so in what happens in Madden... And knowing they have heard the issues we have and hearing them saying what they plan to do to fix it.

Question for majesty95 are we also waiting for roster updates because he mentioned some of the things will be fixed with 1st roster update that will mean a shuge difference for some teams...

mycaddy

Starter
I asked that question because it might mean waiting longer and most of us are hungry to start but in the long run it would be a big deal to wait...

Kwarren3

Starter
So he basically admitted the whole tethering issue is seriously limiting madden, but it's too much work to change that...

mycaddy

Starter
I have to say for me the biggest thing I got out of this was the fact that he mentioned the need to get CFM right... Because I buy the game because of CFM... I only play MUT and DC because I get it for free but I buy the game for CFM and CFM only. I have literally owned every Madden since the original John Madden... If CFM was taken out I would not even consider buying this game... and it is frustrating that it needs to be improved... BUt the fact they consider it a priority

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I asked that question because it might mean waiting longer and most of us are hungry to start but in the long run it would be a big deal to wait...

Possibly. The fact that this rating system was implemented by Donny Moore, who has since left, means that they could very well move to change the structure. But it all depends on how and when. It could take quite a while to do a significant ratings update and I'm not sure the way it is now is horrible. Its not perfect, but I don't know if its a big enough issue to put the leagues on hold even further. We will have to wait and see.

So he basically admitted the whole tethering issue is seriously limiting madden, but it's too much work to change that...

It would mean a complete overhaul to the engine. If I remember reading this correctly, the current engine was in development for around two years before they debuted it in (I believe) Madden 25. The current engine, from what I understand, does not allow for the kind of kinetics that would solve this. So, creating a brand new engine would be the only way to get this done. However, this engine is also used by all of the other EA sports games (as I understand it) so a lot of planning and development would need to be done to get it right.

That is one of the things that most people do not understand about how these games are made. Some things, even very little things, are parts of much bigger systems and aren't easily "tuned" or "patched." I'm sure there is already another engine in development (or at least planning) but it could be a couple years before we see it. In the meantime, some things we have to live with and others they just have to try and make work the best that they can within the framework with which they are working.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I think the big picture thing is just keeping rex and other key guys at the same position they are at now. Its obvious when you listen to the interviews like this one that they are trying to do what is right and make a great game.