Madden 16 Top 5 WR Ratings

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
EA has been releasing the Top 5 player ratings at certain positions in Madden 16 each day this week. Today was the release of the Top 5 wide receivers. Antonio Brown heads the list at 97 overall followed by Dez Bryant (96), Calvin Johnson (95), Madden 16 cover boy Odell Beckham, Jr. (94) and Julio Jones (94). Check below for the full release.

Madden 16 Top 5 Wide Receivers.png

ANTONIO BROWN (97 OVR)
PITTSBURGH STEELERS
5’10, 186 POUNDS

The NFL’s leading receiver has top marks with 99 Catching and 99 Route Running. His raw skills include 90 SPD/96 ELUS/91 ACC. Other outstanding ratings are 95 JKM, 93 SPC, 98 CIT.

DEZ BRYANT (96 OVR)
DALLAS COWBOYS
6’2, 220 POUNDS

Fight for the ball with Bryant’s three 98s for Catching, Jumping, and Spectacular Catch. He’ll get there with 89 SPD/90 ACC/92 ELUS and breaking loose is easy with 91 SPM/95 JKM.

CALVIN JOHNSON (95 OVR)
DETROIT LIONS
6’5, 236 POUNDS

Megatron still beats press coverage with 98 Release, and his catching skills really shine with 97 CTH/91 CIT/98 SPC. Other standouts are 93 AGI/90 JKM/92 RTE.

ODELL BECKHAM JR. (94 OVR)
NEW YORK GIANTS
5’11, 198 POUNDS

It’s no surprise that the Madden NFL 16 cover athlete has 99 Spectacular Catch. Other superlatives are 97 CTH/97 RTE/96 JKM. His physical skills impress with 92 SPD/93 ACC/94 ELUS.

JULIO JONES (94 OVR)
ATLANTA FALCONS
6’3, 220 POUNDS

Already in his fifth year, Jones has emerged as one of the game’s premier wideouts. He brings 97 Spectacular Catch and three 94s in Catching, Catch in Traffic, and Agility. He also shines with 92 SPD/92 ACC/87 ELUS, as well as 87 JMP/91 RTE.

----------

So what do you guys think? Should Dez Bryant be ahead of Calvin Johnson? I know BigTexas18 will think so. Lol. I think they are in the same class and maybe we are splitting hairs, but isn't Calvin still the top guy to a lot of people? And what about Antonio Brown being at the top? He's definitely an elite receiver. But is he the best? And what about that 90 speed rating? :eek:

Lot's of low speed ratings overall. Makes you wonder what they are capping the speed at? And I'm still not sure I agree that we can have 97-99 ratings in things like pass accuracy and trucking, etc but not speed. What are they saying equates to 99 SPD? Or is that the sole category that isn't judged on a 0-99 scale?

And then there is OBJ who has received a ton of vitriol on Twitter for being named cover athlete. However, it is hard to deny his 91 rec, 1,305 yds and 12 TD in just 12 games.

So what do you guys think? Anything that you don't agree with? Anything that gets you more excited that you didn't expect?

Last edited:

priestmvp

Starter
Yeah kind of shocked AB got #1, hell of a WR just surprised EA actually put him over CJ and Dez. Interesting with the speed thing I dunno. Bummed with Charles speed being only 92 but he's as fast or faster than all of those elite WRs. I'm interested to see what speed rating they give a guy like Mike Wallace lol and like you said where does it top out?

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
The key for the speed is gonna be where do the generated rookies come in at. Because if its like in years past where there is 95+ speed then its really gonna throw everything for a loop. Even if hear its been fixed I am gonna have to see it for myself first.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
That's a good point. You would think that they have adjusted the rookie classes to incorporate the new ratings method. However, to me, I would think it would have been better to lower the overall speed threshold in the game to create more disparity between players. Or raise it if they think that bringing everyone's speed closer together is what is supposed to happen. But a change to the way speed has been rated for what, 20+ years? I just don't agree with that.

Now, there may be limitations presented in programming that we are not aware of so maybe this was what they felt the best option was. However, I still think they needed to look at modifying the game's behavior before lowering speed numbers across the board.

That does bring up an additional point: are we going to see even less separation between fast players like Charles and your typical 80 SPD linebacker? We already have too many instances of fast guys getting caught from behind by slower guys. Is this going to make that worse?

I've been highly supportive of pretty much everything that I have seen from the Madden team this year. But this one topic really has me worried. Maybe it will be for not and they have thought this through 10 steps ahead. I just can't see it right now.

Last edited:

priestmvp

Starter
yeah that would suck elite players topping out at like 92 speed then first draft you draft a LB with 90 plus speed right out of the gate lol.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Rothliesberger 95 and Brown 97 the best tandem in the game ... Romo 93 and Dez 96 would be next

Throw in Leveon Bell 94 at RB and that is the best 3 headed monster in the game

Cooper is a 92 speed but Kevin White of the Bears is the fastest listed so far at 94 spd
And don't forget Marriotta w 88 spd

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Carrying on from the discussion on speed ratings, Kwarren3 posted this offline but is having internet issues. This discussion came up at Operation Sports where a member saw the 22nd rated player in the draft class with better speed and acceleration ratings than the top RBs and WRs revealed. The concern is that these changes to speed and acceleration won't carry over to draft classes and we we'll see rookies far superior in athleticism to existing players.

As was mentioned, the draft data was probably from an early beta build and could have been fixed or able to be patched, but it is certainly something to keep an eye on once the game drops.