Madden 16 In-Season Resigning and Off-Season Resinging

Glen Cieske

All-Star
With free agency right around the corner and the new rules put in place, (If you haven't seen them read them HERE) we need to go over how Madden handles contracts. Which in my opinion is poorly done so an owner has to pay close attention to what they are doing to not screw themselves in a few years. Now, with only a few years left this probably won't help with this iteration of Madden but could come in handy when M17 drops.

There is a difference in they way a contract is negotiated during the season vs in the off-season. I will attempt to break this down a simply as possible, if there are any questions feel free to post them in here or PM me.

BEFORE WE START;

SALARY CAP also referred to as CAP: This is the amount of money each team has to sign enough players to field a team. Each team has the same amount and the amount can change each year.

FUNDS: The amount of money your FRANCHISE has in the bank from ticket sales etc.

In-Season:

When you are in season and you attempt to re-sign a player (like Nick Perry in the picture below) you are given 3 options to change the amount of money you would like to offer the player, Years - Salary - Bonus.
  • Years - Pretty obvious, this is the amount of years the player will be on your team
  • Salary - This is the amount of money you will pay per year on average to the player; this money is counted against your SALARY CAP
  • Bonus - This is the amount of money you will pay per year on average to the player; this money is comes out of the Franchise's FUNDS which can be found in the upper right hand corner.
20160330_092609_zpsu60gqbyu.jpg

In this instance with Nick Perry I offered him a 5 year deal worth 30.5 Million. Broken down its 4.4 against my CAP and 1.7 million against my FUNDS.

***IMPORTANT***

When signing a player, the entire bonus for the length of the contract will come out of your FUNDS immediately after signing the player. Which in the above example was 8.5 Mil (1.7M x 5)

OFF-SEASON:

Off-season is different from in season in that when you are changing the amount under Salary and Bonus it is the TOTAL amount that you will be paying over the life of the contract. In the example below I'm offering Malik Jackson a 44.04 Mil contract over 4 years. This breaks down to 8.47 Mil per year against my CAP and 2.54 Mil against my FUNDS (with the full 10.16 coming out of my FUNDS immediately after signing)

20160330_093345_zpstcxpkwcb.jpg

***I also offered Jackson the MAX contract for a Tier 1 player based on what his desired contract was***

He initially he wanted 6.05 Mil per year - 40% of that is 2.42 therefore his MAX SALARY is 8.47 (6.05+2.42). On top of that I offered him the MAX bonus which is 30% of his total salary.

After offering and then advancing to Week 2 the amount of teams in the running for him went from 14 to 3.

20160330_093406_zps9x0haygo.jpg

Then after advancing to Week 3 it dropped to 2

20160330_093536_zps3hxejj1l.jpg

In the end I ended up signing him.

LASTLY:

When signing a player to a contract. Madden automatically puts the contract on a rising scale, meaning, the amount will not be the same year after year. It will start small and end big, there is no way of knowing exactly how much you will be paying per year. But you still need to account for this when signing players.

I hope this helps anyone who was not understanding the way re-signing and signing FAs worked in Madden, please let me know if there are any questions.

blahblahyea7 Tigers20 Paytonno1son dspbuckle Blackhawk375 rkjones217 Jukemwr21 Jbek Imperfect611 Xxclaywilliamxx zbenjamin85 oBUCKNUTo Studley021 Luis3250 pack1797 Milhouse georgiafan BigTexas18

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Everyone, this is a refresher. Be sure to look this over. I am doing some testing into a max salary per position vs a tier structure that was set up last year. The only reason being is that it is easier for us to manage a max off per position vs a system where each individual player is different. I'll let you guys know before re-signings start what we came up with. Just be sure to look this over and make sure you understand the off-season process and ask if you have any questions.

dspbuckle, Luis3250, BigTexas18, Gubber227, Blackhawk375, georgiafan, pack1797, Glen Cieske, Imperfect611, rkjones217, oBUCKNUTo, Paytonno1son, Tigers20, Studley021, Jukemwr21, blahblahyea7, Burns, JerseyBorn

Last edited: