GTA V Impressions

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I thought about doing a GTA V review but there are a ton of those out there and I'm not sure I can add any insight that hasn't been covered. So, instead of a review, I thought we could do an impressions thread. I know many of you (judging by the over 13 million day one sales) bought the game so we should be able to give a pretty good collective insight into GTA V.

Here are my thoughts so far after getting through 4-5 missions:
  • The graphics are 100x better than anything this series has offered so far. I thought GTA IV was disappointing as basically a PS2 port. GTA V certainly changes the game graphically. The really cool thing is that the close up, zoomed in camera scenes during dialogue don't change much from what you see when playing. It flows really well.
  • The cut scenes and acting are really, really good also. By far the best in the series (including the Ray Liotta, Tom Sizemore and Dennis Hopper led Vice City). The opening scenes really drew me in and made it feel very lifelike (or movie like for those that prefer that depiction).
  • The gameplay, for the most part, is pretty much what you've seen from past versions. That's not a bad thing. I think that's all what we like about the GTA series but it does kind of lack that "wow" factor from previous versions.
  • The controls are very similar as well although you have multiple control versions that you can choose from. Again, this all feels very familiar. The biggest knock for me though is that the player movement is very slow. Even when running it is more of a jog than a sprint. That's always been a drawback. You can fly through the streets of Los Santos in a vehicle but you practically crawl through them on foot.
  • My last complaint is the save feature. You've always had to return home to save but I wish they would've upgraded that and just auto-saved at the completion of missions. It becomes tedious to have to return home every mission or two.
All-in-all, I have to say that GTA V is by far the best in the series. Its does retain some of the annoying qualities of previous iterations but it also expands upon the good ones. It brings a new (yet familiar) storyline and gameplaying experience and will certainly get even better when Grand Theft Auto online launches in October. I'm not sure its quite the $800M gold mine it turned out to be but its certainly a must have for fans of the Grand Theft Auto series.

Booder

Starter
I haven't played GTA for a long time so I was excited to play this weekend when majesty95 brought it over to woodsmall12's house. I will echo what majesty95 said. The game plays a little slow when you are not in a car. The missions were a little difficult but that could be because I haven't played GTA in a LONG time.

Having kids, this is a game where you DO NOT want to play around your children if you are old like me. While I personally don't see myself buying it, I will play it again when majesty95 takes it over to woodsmall12's or lets me borrow it for a bit.

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I love GTA V. Especially the online mode. I think this is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Graphics are great, soundtrack is great, missions are fun and challenging. Trevor is the biggest role model I've ever met;). Online is fun with the character customization, the interactions, the missions, the cars, you can hold up gas stations and make crews with friends. I think the game is an absolute blast