EA SPORTS UFC Patch #1 and #2 Info

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I was just over at the EA Sports forums and saw where a game dev commented about all of the things that people are complaining about after Patch #1. Here is a list of what he has outlined to be fixed in the future:

1. Sweep from guard to mount tuning – by increasing the denial window on the sweep from guard to mount, we successfully made that a more difficult transition to execute, but we indirectly made subs and getups from guard more difficult because the user only has to anticipate/react to two options instead of 4, because they have ample time to react to the sweep no matter what. This has made guard one of the least effective ground positions which is not realistic or balanced. In addition, the AI still uses the sweep as a go to strategy and as a result the AI is too easy to dominate in guard.

2. Weak block tuning has adverse side effects on the ground game – If you are the submissive fighter on the ground, the game requires you to block in order to transition when your opponent is postured up and striking. Now that you don’t regenerate stamina while holding block, it is very difficult to regain stamina as the sub fighter. Because stamina is so key to any success on the ground, this has put the ground game out of balance and compounds the above issue in full guard.

3. Posture up/down exploit – We fixed the exploit but there is now a new exploit where if you time the strike after posturing up and releasing the stick, you can sneak in an unblocked postured up strike. In addition, you cannot TKO a guy if he turtles forever, and by fixing the posture up/down exploit the top guys has no viable option to get a KO or TKO apart from using the new exploit.

4. Weak block stamina balance while standing – The combination of weak block not regenerating stamina and stamina getting drained while weak blocking a strike gives users the impression that throwing a flurry of strikes costs the the same/less/unrealistically similar amount of stamina as defensively weathering the storm which feels imbalanced.

5. Body kick spamming still an issue, potentially compounded by stamina tuning – body kick spamming was an issue prior to the patch, and it is either still an issue or worse of an issue as players now know to pressure their opponent as much as possible, especially to the body to drain their stamina even quicker with the knowledge that it won’t regenerate. Parry’s aren't effective against certain strikes as you can’t counter punch due to range issues, and once you are gassed you cannot block at all leaving you without block as a defensive option. This rarely happened before since you regenerated stamina while blocking, but now it's showing up as is seen an issue.

I will say that this is the most interactive that I have seen a dev in relation to feedback about the game, at least on EA's end. This is highly encouraging to me and tells me a lot about the people that they have working on this game. I know a lot of people have very negative feelings about EA because of past transgressions, but I really do feel like they are trying to be better now.

In regards to those that may say EA released an "unfinished" game and that we are basically paying beta testers: I won't disagree but I can possibly explain why. In an interview that EA dev Brian Hayes did with Middle Easy, he explained that a lot of what they do and when they do it is political in nature.

I can't, for a variety of reasons, some financial, like, some reporting reasons that I'm not an expert on, there's reasons around accounting why we aren't able to say anything about what fighters and when prior to certain dates. A lot of it has to due with fiscal quarters and all that. It's mind-numbingly annoying and frustrating.

Basically, the big wigs at EA, which is a publicly traded company, try to position everything to be released at specific times so as to look good on reporting sheets (to investors). If they can get a spike in sales or user interaction at the end of a quarter, it looks good to their current and potential investors. It sucks, and its not something that I like about publicly traded companies, but it goes a long way in explaining why some things happen like they do. Its not the devs fault. Its the big wigs in a corporate office looking out for the bottom line making some of those calls.

Anyway, thought tat was interesting and would share. Given this new information, what do you think about the state of EA SPORTS UFC currently and where it is headed in the near future?

I have to commend ea on knowing their problems with the game and move to fix it as far as the fact that they released a unfinished game I disagree because every game has its problems so I don't see the issue the fact that they are fixing it instead of just letting the issues go like ea Canada did for ea mma so I say let's see where they go before bashing them

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This game will continue to sit on the shelf until fighters fight like they do in real life.

Yeah. I didn't mind it so much before the patch but now you are really limited in your style options fighting online. I won't be playing the game unless it's fighting someone from the league for awhile.

I have been a few spammers here and there but other that homos I love it I think in the league it's going to make for a lot better fights

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I got stuff going on. Can't right now.

I do think it will make for better league fights, but playing online is a mess. Wait til u get the fight where the guy just throws spinning back kicks to the body over and over and you are losing more stamina than him even though you're blocking. Its ridiculous.

DarkParadox21

The peoples champ.
I got stuff going on. Can't right now.

I do think it will make for better league fights, but playing online is a mess. Wait til u get the fight where the guy just throws spinning back kicks to the body over and over and you are losing more stamina than him even though you're blocking. Its ridiculous.

I think about the 20 times I have fought on this new update about 17 of them where those spinning kick guys. I hate even doing combos now cause I feel like its cheap to hit the body at any time to set up combos.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
So I will say that my my interpretation of the realistic percentage of significant strikes is off. I looked up the Dennis Bermudez vs Clay Guida fight from last night and about 80% of the strikes were significant strikes. So, I guess using modifiers for a high percentage of your strikes is somewhat realistic. I'm not sure FightMetric and the game consider the same type of strikes significant though. I think FightMetric considers anything that lands cleanly and with some force "significant" (ie a stiff jab would count) whereas the game only counts modified strikes as "significant." I'm still not sure that's properly balanced but tends to explain why some guys just throw modified strikes since they are considered "significant."

I also noticed another thing that is irritating and it goes along with my complaint of the blocking system. I got KO'd going for a takedown and caught with a kick right after I got back to my feet. I'm holding R2 to block knowing a kick is coming but my hands don't go up. I noticed that in the Rockhold Machida fight too. Machida got rocked after a takedown attempt. Most real life fighters are going to get their hands up after a failed takedown attempt, not just stand there and take a clean shot. Same thing when a guy is rocked. How many just stand there with their hands to their sides and take shots? They usually are making some sort of attempt to block unless they are "out on their feet." If that is what EA intended with fighters getting "rocked" then it happens at a far too frequent pace.

That's just my take. Here are the stats from Bermudez vs Guida:

Bermudez vs Guida.png

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
So I wonder if EA SPORTS UFC counts not modified hooks and crosses as "significant" or if they just leave the significant strikes to those done with the modifiers. Its kind of a dumb stat really bc its too subjective. Like I mentioned, Silva KOs Griffin with a jab but "technically" they wouldn't count that as significant. What about an Aldo leg kick? What about a Rampage power bomb? Its kind of a ubiquitous stat.

DarkParadox21

The peoples champ.
Officially done with this update, I had a guy take advantage of my on the ground cause I'm losing more stamina blocking than he his hammer fisting me so I have no way out of it, if i try to transition he just punches me more while I'm doing it.