Diamond Cutters Discussion Thread

danwin

Starter
Was just wondering how you plan on doing the first free agent period? I think there is 3 or 4 periods of free agency. Are you planning like 24 hours for each period or what? I know draft is first so I think we would be looking at like 5 days to complete draft and free agency. Just wondering what your plans are? Will you be posting when free agency starts and ends for each period?

Last edited:

danwin

Starter
If I remember right, once you start an online franchise, the first thing that you do when activating the league is set when the draft will start. It's so many hours from when you activate league. It wil tell you when you go and activate the league. Everyone will have to set their draft queue up. I could be wrong but I'm almost certain that is first thing we do.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
BigTexas18 You might want to create a test league and go in and sim through a season or two and see when everything is, what settings you can control, etc. will make it easier when you get going vs trying to figure it out as you go.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Hitting ... seem to get a lot of dribblers and not near as many HRs ... after 40 games my team leader has 3 ... I think part of this relates back to timing ... pitches come very quick ... could be human timing or pitch speed

Not sure what my thoughts are on cpu hitting ... I thought I was fine with it but pitches have knocked 3 HRs against me ... well one was knocked back into play by Hamilton this morning when he reached over the wall to catch it and knocked it back into play which resulted in Wainwright getting a triple

Only other thing I would mention is OF errors ... I drop a lot of balls ... sometimes misplayed, yes, but I dropped 3 easy catches recently ... seemed a bit high

danwin

Starter
I agree with woody on a lot of dribblers and it seems I will get good contact but ball just doesn't go anywhere. I don't think it's pitch speed. I have no problem pulling ball. I wouldn't slow pitch speed any. I think it's more to do with solid contact and power. CPU seems to be able to hit for power more than we can.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I will say this from my experience with Madden, sliders don't always do what you expect them to. My suggestion would be to A. compare the sliders vs the CPU's and see where the differences could be. B. Look at some sliders threads (highly rated ones) and see why they have set some sliders as they do. Many slider makers do pretty thorough testing and figure out things the normal person would not. Those threads can give you some insight into what sliders might be more overpowered than others and which sliders may not have the same effects you think they would logically. Either way, when you adjust sliders, do so in minor increments and gradually (make a small adjustment, test for a weeks worth of games and then adjust again if needed).

Unless there is a huge issue in the community with things being way too easy on a setting (ie veteran or All-Pro) it is generally best to start out with the default sliders and then make tweaks from there. You could find that, working up from a lower setting, you don't have to tweak much whereas working backwards from being too difficult could be a never ending battle. Just a thought...

cnorys4

Contributor
Hitting was a struggle early on for me. Like I said earlier, I was swinging way ahead of everything and was getting my butt kicked by the Mets. Once I was able to slow it down and get my timing back I have managed 9.8 hits over the last 6 games. I don't always score a lot but I have been able to hit for average much better in the past 6 games, resulting in a 32 point Team BA increase. Also, much more harder hits whether out or not. Been mixing up my use of Contact and Normal swings better.

Those little dribblers you guys mention were happening to me a lot, but when that hitter came back around I would see "Early" timing every time, which makes sense cause I'm swinging over the pitch and knocking it down on the ground. No I find myself with more "Good" times swings.

I'm not saying that I am the greatest by any means, but I think timing is the issue not the sliders themselves.

I think the pitch speed is fine! it is very difficult to hold up on slow off speed pitches, but tough to catch up to BigTexas18 100mph fastballs. ;)

If I can give any opinion on the sliders themselves I would say go for the pitching rather than the hitting. Play around with consistency and control. This will help with some additional meatballs being thrown, but then again both those settings are already set pretty low.

My only fear is an unrealistic game where everyone is crushing 2-3 HR per game. A couple changes to the sliders and that will happen. Ultimately, they will never be perfect though, so it was it is.

danwin

Starter
I would have to see the sliders but if pitching sliders are already set low I wouldn't touch them. Everyone's era seems similar to other CPU teams. On the other hand, hitting as a wide gap between human and CPU. To me that means adjust hitting sliders. But, I honestly haven't adjusted sliders much so I can't say what the definite solution is.

NightHawkTH32

All-Star
We will take a look. Possible a power bump because i am noticing a very low home run number. But like chad said, i don't want people to be hitting 3 homers a game. We will make some adjustments. Hitting dribblers however is a timing and location issue. If you swing early on top of a ball don't expect to get hits. The game is realistic in that sense. We will keep working to make it as close to perfect as we can.

woodsmall12

All-Star
So if I understand the hitting correctly then I can time the pitch accurately because swinging is simply that, it's all timing ... Outside of that, u point in the direction ... Granted ball placement is also key at point of contact however the game just doesn't seem to play that way

Am I missing something? I've watched some tutorial videos but continue to struggle

cnorys4

Contributor
I've read some things on sliders for all games. You can't always manipulate one side of the spectrum. I say you need to work on pitching because pitching consistency, in my honest belief, is the ability for a ground ball pitcher to consistently grind out ground ball outs, or a strikeout pitcher to consistently strikeout batters. I wrote what I wrote before I looked at the actual sliders and saw they were low already. Plus, I don't strikeout a ton and my outs are a balanced mix between pop ups and ground balls.

Just like in Madden. You can't change QB throwing and expect your qb to become elite. You, possibly, have to change wr catch, db reaction time, etc..

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Just like in Madden. You can't change QB throwing and expect your qb to become elite. You, possibly, have to change wr catch, db reaction time, etc..

Or get better at reading defenses :p

Your point is accurate though. A lot of things go into making the difficulty what it is.

woodsmall12 changed his hitting interface from directional to zone (I believe is the right terminology) and saw better results. I had to do the same in my RTTS when I got to All-Star. I don't think directional gives you enough bat control so you hit more dribblers and weak pop ups. That could be part of the issue for some too.

cnorys4

Contributor
I watched a really cool video on thump positioning for Zone hitting. Can't remember where I saw it, but basically you want to bend your thumb at a 90degree angle and place the tip on the left analog stick. It helps to control your movement as the pitch comes in, so that you only slightly move the analog to where you need to go.

Directional hitting to me is the most realistic form of hitting. 1-1 count with Kole Calhoun up, I might look to send it into left field. I hold my analog to the left and look middle to outside of the plate and swing a tad late to drive it the other way. I've read mixed reactions to negative effects when using directional but not actually choosing a direction. I don't always choose direction and still have success hitting, so I don't think you necessarily have to choose a direction.

I don't think one style of hitting has an increased chance for weak ups/dribblers over another though. It's all about preference and most importantly TIMING. I've watched many streams now and I see the soft hit dribblers and weak pop ups and I also see how late and early you are. Don't expect to crush a low sinker when you swing too early lol.