Defensive Tutorial

Imperfect611

Starter
I will be running a defensive tutorial on Saturday to try and help out anyone who may have questions or simply needs defensive help. It will be recorded, but this is best done when I have people interacting. There is no time set yet because I want to do it when there are no games being played. For now post any questions you have here or topics you want covered.

Imperfect611

Starter
The short answer is get to the quaterback and give them less time to blow coverage.

Longer answer is a few things.
  • Use man sparingly if you can't matchup sometimes you just need to use zone
  • Disguise your coverage (beat the quarterback not the WR)
  • Get a good pass rusher
  • Understand pass blocking schemes and how to beat them (will go over in more detail)
One of the biggest things though in getting the most out of sub-par players is knowing how to put them in situations to succeed. A problem I can see is that you have 3 guys on roster that are CB2s which is nice, but they are so similar at the same time. They do have some strengths between them though even though they are minor.

John Parham

This is the guy you want lining up on their big man. He has to be in on goaline and he will probably do best in press coverage. He isn't as tall as you would like out of this kind of corner, but his strength is higher than most LBs. Use him when you man blitz and try and force people out of routes before they start.

Janoris Jenkins

He is who covers the Flanker or Slot for you. Flanker is the guy off of the LOS wide and most people know slot. He is athletic and has the ability to cover most people on an average basis. You don't have a lockdown guy, but as far as a man to man guy goes this is who you want in a non-physical matchup. He is your weakest against the press. The redzone is not his friend it gets a lot more physical and he is all about his quickness.

E.J. Gaines

This guy is all zone. He is a serviceable man coverage guy, but he really should be in zone most of the day. He isn't strong like Parham or quick like Jenkins, but try and get this guy into your more volatile zones. He has the ability to cover half the field like a safety and should be strong in cover 3. His press is pretty solid too. This is your other goaline CB if you need one.

You won't always be running man and nor should you. I don't think the issue is your corners though. Looking at your front 7 I don't know where the pressure on the quarterback is coming from. You can try and use these guys in the best situations, but given enough time there will be an open man. I will cover how to pressure the quarterback in general on Saturday and I will try and make sure to include ways that don't include blitzing or simply overpowering people.

Imperfect611

Starter
I forgot to actually give you a straight answer about this year. Try and use Gaines and Parham in press when you can. Jenkins can cover these younger new WR. Just check the opponents depth chart first and try and matchup as best you can.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Be careful with press vs fast receivers though. If you are in two man under (cover 2 man) you can get away with it. But if you are in Cover 1 or Cover 3 with one safety hi, you risk the chance of getting beat deep by a fast receiver.

Imperfect611

Starter
Yeah and we are back to the fact that press is best matched up with a consistent pass rush and that you can't do real match ups in madden. They took out that feature for no real reason.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Yeah and we are back to the fact that press is best matched up with a consistent pass rush and that you can't do real match ups in madden. They took out that feature for no real reason.

They took it out when they switched generations. There was a reason. Lol. They just haven't been able to get the coding to work correctly which is why they haven't put it back in yet. But they are working on it. Not to derail the topic lol.

Imperfect611

Starter
They took it out when they switched generations. There was a reason. Lol. They just haven't been able to get the coding to work correctly which is why they haven't put it back in yet. But they are working on it. Not to derail the topic lol.

Just frustrated about, but I will remember to cover different coverages and setups and why to use them