Carolina Panthers 2015 Season Preview

Spitta0

Contributor
1280px-Carolina_Panthers_logo.svg.png

Last Season: After a disappointing 7-8-1 year following a 12-4 breakout year, the Carolina Panthers are looking to bounce back by winning the division which are high expectations considering our schedule, but I believe we can achieve them. We are the first team in the NFC South to win the division twice and we look to do that again. As head coach Ron "River Boat Ron" Rivera looks to lead this team he will he a couple of new assets to mess with.
Notes:
(OC)- Offensive Captain
(DC)- Defensive Captain
(R)- Rookie
(I/IR)- Injured/Injured Reserve

Quarterbacks:

Obviously 5th year quarterback (OC) Cam Newton is the starter here. You can expect to not see Cam very much coming off a very adventurous season with numerous injuries. Backup Derek Anderson is one of the best backup QB's in my opinion as when he is called up in the regular season he has proven he is ready, his spot is set as the backup. 3rd string Joe Webb has debated wether to play WR or QB, but he will most likely be the 3rd string QB on this team.

Running Backs/Full Backs:

Veteran running back Jonathan Stewart will be the full time starter for the first time in his career. I aim for him to hit at least 1,000+ yards this season. Right now 5th year running back Fozzy Whittaker is the 2nd string running back behind Stewart looking to follow up on a good season. The final running back on the depth chart is 3rd string (R) Cameron Artis-Payne from Auburn. He will get a lot of action in the preseason along with Fozzy.

Mike Tolbert is the obvious starter at Full Back. He is almost a guaranteed touchdown in the goal line and great for play action in the goal line as well, he also has surprise speed. 2nd string FB Richie Brockel has a question mark beside his name. We really don't need 2 full backs, but Mike Tolbert has had some injury history. This will be a tough choice for me that will most likely come down to the last week of preseason.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends:
With (IR) Kelvin Benjamin out for the year i am looking for 2nd year Philly Brown, (R) Devin Funchess, and veteran player Jericho Cotcherry to step up for the team, all 3 of these players will be competing for the #1 wide receiver spot. Ted Ginn holds down the 4th receiver spot as he will be used as a returner also. As we most likely will only have 5 wide receivers for week 1 the final spot will be between Brenton Bersin, Kevin Norwood, and Stephen Hill, all of them will get a lot of action in the preseason for that final spot.

(OC) Greg Olsen holds 1st string tight end while Ed Dickson holds the 2nd string. I will be running a lot of dual TE with these 2. Brandon Williams and Scott Simonson will be fighting for the 3rd tight end spot and most likely spot on the team as J.J Jansen holds the LS spot.

O-Line:
The leader of the O-line here is pro bowler (OC) Ryan Kalil at center while Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell hold the guard spots. Michael Oher has the the Left tackle spot for right now as Mike Remmers could come in and take the job, while Nate Chandler and (R) Daryl Williams will be fighting for the right tackle spot during the preseason

D-Line:

This is a top 10 if not top 5 defensive line imo. We have veteran (DC) Charles Johnson locking down the Left End spot while two of the most upcoming Defensive Tackles Star Lotueleli and Kawann Short locking down the defensive tackle area. Right End is a spot that is needed to be filled after the leave of Greg Hardy. There will be a 3 way battle for that spot between Mario Addison, Kony Ealy, and Wes Horton. Any of those could win the spot though it seems Mario will most likely win the job anything can happen.

Linebackers:

Possibly the best Linebacking corp in the league here with these linebackers. At MLB the best linebacker in the league (DC) Luke Kuechly holds down the MLB while (R) David Mayo is the 2nd stringer. Mayo is a little bit undersized which gives me the idea of converting him into a safety next season. At ROLB is veteran (DC) Thomas Davis who won NFL Man of the Year last year. He along with Kuechly forms the best duo in the NFL and these 2 together are nearly unstoppable. 2nd year player Adarius Glanton holds the 2nd string. Unlike many thing (R) Shaq Thompson won't be handed the LOLB spot right away as he and A.J Klein will be battling for that spot, both have their strengths and weaknesses, but right now I'm favoring Thompson due to his versatility and speed.

Secondary:

Josh Norman after a stand out season is a #1 corner and is ready to prove why he's a elite corner among the NFL. 2nd year player Bene Benwikere after a very impressive rookie season is our #2 corner while veteran Charles Tillman is our nickel corner. Carrinngton Byndom and Teddy Williams hold down the last corner spots though it is unlikely either will be on the team once the season starts as we would have picked up at least 2 corners.

At free safety 2nd year player Tre Boston out of UNC and veteran Kurt Coleman will be battling out for the starting spot at FS though right now I am favoring Tre Boston.

At strong safety NFL veteran Roman Harper is holding down the starting spot while (R) out of James Madison Dean Marlowe is the 2nd string SS. Marlowe has played pretty well in his first preseason game which gives me signs that he is ready to step up when Harper retires.

Special Teams:

Veteran kicker Graham Gano holds the kicker spot as well as the Kickoff starter spot.

3rd year punter out of the University of Wisconsin Brad Nortman holds down the punting spot while J.J Jansen will be the LS for kicking and punting.

With the return of Ted Ginn Jr, he will hold down the KR and PR spots as Fozzy Whittaker will be 2nd in those spots.

Schedule:

CDZpTvaUsAIixmY.png