Breaking Records (POLL)

How should we handle records?

• NCAA records should never be broken.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCAA records should be allowed to be broken within reason.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Any record is up for grabs at any time.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
What is everyone's views on breaking records?

In the sim leagues that I have played in and or run we have always frowned upon breaking records. Records are a one time in the history of the league type thing and to break them generally requires a focuses intent to do so. That can sometimes be construed as a person cheesing or running up the score (chasing stats) to do so. That may not always be the case but it can be viewed that way.

In NCAA, especially, most of the records are pretty outlier stats meaning they would be really hard to break through normal, sim gameplay. Breaking records just doesn't fall in line with sim to me due to the focuses attention it requires. However, I'm interested to see what you guys think.

This vote is not public so nobody will know how you voted. Please vote by how you truly feel.

Colefolks319, Blakehawk54, Booder, woodsmall12, TCCsuper06, Ljhrugger, luettjohann, BigTexas18

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I didn't even realize i was close to a record with UNLV until the stat police said something... I get down to the goal line alot. And there is nothing more high percentage than running it with my star RB. He finds the end zone and I win games. Now I gotta take him out to score? Seems kinda ridiculous. My gameplan isn't the big play. It's short bursting plays which gets me on the goal line alot

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Look. Nobody forced you to play. You signed up on the other site which is where these sim rules we're established. If you didn't like them you didn't have to sign up. Most of the guys in Extreme Makeover are sim veterans so we don't have these issues. This league is a little different but still a sim league at its core and always will be. If you don't like the rules, fine, nobody is forcing you to stay. But if you want to play then we can do without the "stat police", vagesty comments and all that. You can post constructively without the "screw the establishment" mindset some of the others have obviously imparted on you.

As for breaking records, you have a common mindset of new sim players. "I'm just playing the game. I can't control my stats." Of course you can. Just like you can control throwing a lot of curls, outs, corners or whatever. Just like me and most of the others do. In the history of college football, exactly two (2) players have had over 30 touchdowns in a season. So it isn't realistic for two guys to go over that in one season and possibly in two separate leagues the same season? Really I think it's perfectly reasonable to never have anyone go over 30. There are plenty of carries to go around.

I looked at Toby Gerhart's 2009 season (28 touchdowns). The back up RBs had 4 TDs, FB 4 TDs and QB 2 TD. That's probably fairly representative of the norm. Sure your #1 HB will get most of your goaline carries but your FB, backups and QB should get a few too. I'm not suggesting anyone is doing anything to blatantly skew stats. But I think we all know it's pretty easy to score near the goaline, especially vs the CPU. I'm just saying to mix it up and give some other guys some carries too.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
And the reason why records are so paramount for me? Last year in our madden league we had a guy break the single game passing record with John Skelton. The next week a guy tried to break it with Tim Tebow (and continued to try every week til he got booted). Neither of those guys are likely in any way to break a passing record much less on 7 minute quarters. You almost have to be exploiting coverage issues over and over to throw for that many yards. Anyway, it kind of created a big issue in the league.

We also had a guy rush for over 300 yards with Jamal Charles in week one which created a firestorm among most of the veteran members. I just decided after that it's in the best interest of the league to make records off limits to discourage any inclination people may have to exploit things to achieve them. Generally makes for less drama unless people decide to beat their drum on the other side. Personally, I don't see how scoring 25,26, 27 TDs in a season by a RB ruins your experience vs rushing for 30+. However, I've seen the fallout from broken records.