4th Down Rule (VOTE)

What Rule Should We Use on 4th Down?

• 1. Keep it as it is.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 2. Same as now but allow 4th and 10 or less from opponents 35-45.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3. 4th and 2 or less from 40 on and 4th and 10 or less from opponents 35-45.

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
We are always looking to improve the league in any way that we can and make things as realistic as possible. I have been studying 4th down tendencies in the NFL and trying to see if there is a better, more realistic option for us. Here are some of the things that I have found:
  • NFL teams, on average, attempt just under one 4th down per game.
  • In our league, users attempt just over .5 4th downs per game.
  • NFL teams generally only go for it on 4th and 1 or less from their opponents 45 yard line or less.
  • NFL teams will go for it on on as much as 4th and 10 from between their opponents 35-45.
  • Statistics show NFL teams should go for it on 4th and 2 or less from their own 30 yard line on.
With our own 4th down usage being almost half of what the real NFL does, I wanted to see if we should amend our rule at all? Here are my proposed adjustments. You can vote on them at the top of the post.

1. Keep the rule as it is (Going for it on 4th down is only allowed on 4th and 1 or less on your opponent's side of the field (past the 50) or on 4th and 7 or less between your opponent's 35 and 40 yard lines.)

2. Allow going for it on 4th down on your opponents side of the field with 1 yard or less to go or on 4th down and 10 or less from your opponents 35-45.

3. Allow going for it on 4th and 2 or less from your own 40 on or on 4th and 10 or less from your opponents 35-45 yard line.

What say y'all?

whoa, Konvict27, Xxclaywilliamxx, sifukeatis, Paytonno1son, BigTexas18, woodsmall12, pack1797, BlackPaw, Mark, beeswarm, rkjones217, Warren7, NightHawkTH32, Titanman931, Trizzle911, Colefolks319, cnorys4, SoAndSo

pack1797

Staff member
Per the stats, our owners aren't in the habit of going for it on fourth down in general. Relaxing the rules shouldn't cause problems, and allow offensive teams more leeway in certain situations. Don't really have an issue no matter how this goes.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Yeah, I've been in a couple of situations on 4th and 2 where I would have gone for it if I could have. Its risk/reward. I also think having a little more flexibility when between 35-45 could help too. Not everyone is great at FGs.

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
The game doesn't play exactly like the NFL either. It is my belief we dont do it because some of us are here for fair game play, not just to win. People will abuse it now for sure. FB dive and play action.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
The game doesn't play exactly like the NFL either. It is my belief we dont do it because some of us are here for fair game play, not just to win. People will abuse it now for sure. FB dive and play action.

Well, the goal of the league is to play fair and realistic. If guys are looking for loopholes to exploit to win at all costs, they shouldn't be in the league to begin with.

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
I guess my thought is we could start to lose parody in the league. Really good players can easily convert 4-2 if they wanted. If guys are up 21-0 going for it on 4-2, it ruins it. I guess my point is why does it need to change?

rkjones217

Starter
What about changing it to just the second half then the numbers of going for it will be more realistic with the NFL

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
What about changing it to just the second half then the numbers of going for it will be more realistic with the NFL

They are about half what the real NFL does now. Pkus, it's not juts about stats, real life teams have that option and they go for it in those situations fairly regularly. I thought we should have that flexibility too. Its up to the league though and we can always adjust more if needed.