4th Down rule clarification

Lyric4christ

Starter
4th Down

Going for it on 4th down is allowed under the following scenarios:
  • 4th and 2 or less once you cross your own 40 yard line or
  • 4th and 10 or less from between your opponent’s 30-45 yard lines.
4th down rules do not apply if it is the last play of the first half, when trailing by 17 or more in the 3rd quarter or when losing in the 4th quarter.

I hope this is the place for this question....

What happens on 4th down between 3 and 9 yards inside of your opponent's 30 yard line? Can you go for it?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Once you cross your own 40 you can go for it on 4th and 2 or less. Or between your opponents 30-45 4th and 10 or less. So, since your question does not fall within the 30-45 exclusion, it would revert back to 4th and 2 or less. Hope that explains it better.

Lyric4christ

Starter
Once you cross your own 40 you can go for it on 4th and 2 or less. Or between your opponents 30-45 4th and 10 or less. So, since your question does not fall within the 30-45 exclusion, it would revert back to 4th and 2 or less. Hope that explains it better.
OK. I guess you are saying in a simulation league that inside the opponents thirty real NFL teams would kick a field goal if more than 4th and 2.

OK. Sometimes in h2h I go for those early in a game if needed to score aand i think their offense is good. But I won't now that I better understand the rule. Thanks.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
According to statistics that is correct. Not 100% but pretty close. To make it easy we have to generalize a little