2020 Season Preview Contenders or Pretenders?

Tigers20

All-Star
Packers_Metal_Logo.jpg

Wade Wolfman/Press-Gazette Media
Our preseason well under way, and the days are drawing near for the kickoff of the 2020 season in Green Bay. Fans are anxious. We have to assume it's a direct result of the eleven win season our boys put together last year. The front office worked tirelessly in the offseason to fix mistakes and improve on strengths of this squad. The Packers are coming off an 11-5 season, which ties the record of the Division champ Bears (also 11-5).

Does this mean the Pack figured out a way to truly contend in the North? Ask these die hard fans & the answer is a resounding: Yes. The coaching staff is confident and answers the same. But what does the league see? Have the Packers done enough for everyone to recognize this "contention"? Well I'm afraid that answer is no..for now. So what needs to change? How do we get there?? I'm afraid answers to these questions will only be provided with the unfolding of the 2020 season.

Key additions were made on the offensive side starting in free agency by adding big man Nate Solder to the LT position, this will true up that side of the line for the running game. The front office went after a solid receiver in Crosby Greenwood in the first round of the draft who has now proven true superstar development which will add some pop to this receiving corps. In the backfield Tamani Redmon and Shawn Duncan will ensure a battle with Derron Briggs throughout the season for the right to run the ball. Both Duncan and Redmon have very fast developmental skills and will gain traction quickly in this race.

I'm glad to be here! I've got some experience and tricks of the trade to share with some of the younger guys. I plan on making a difference here in Green Bay. Nate Solder

How could it be any better? I'm now apart of one of the best organizations in football. I'm gonna spend everyday of the rest of my career showing my appreciation. Crosby Greenwood

On defense the "big move" was adding more speed to the safety position by letting Brandon Flowers test free agency and awarding Rayshon Morgan the starting role at the Strong Safety position and moving playmaker Tramon Jordan to Free Safety. This will add more speed and playmaking ability to the last season's suspect at times secondary.

I've worked since leaving San Jose St. and arriving here in Green Bay to start in this secondary! I've put in so many extra hours with Julius and Tramon and they kept telling me to keep at it and keep going, they were right. I'm glad I listened. I'm ready."
Rayshon Morgan

b99656728z.1_20160122222449_000_gk7e787f.1-0.jpg

So. Pretenders? From what I remember this team didn't pretend to make the playoffs last year. They didn't pretend to beat the Eagles, at their house, or make the Bears feel uncomfortable in the backyard. They did. I'm sure they're ready as the rowdy fans wanna see, to turn some more heads this year and you might only pretend to look but you'll look. Put your glasses on 2020 is here! Get Loud Lambeau!!!

172473.jpg