What is a Route Tree?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
One thing that we see a lot in sim leagues is guys that focus on specific routes and abandon others. Recently is was the curls and outs that got abused in NCAA and Madden. Slants have always been pretty easy. Now were seeing a lot of corners and posts.

I found this article on Bleacher Report which does a really good job of breaking down the route tree and showing examples of how it may be affected by where the receiver lines up. I think that its good reading for just getting a deeper understanding of passing philosophies. It will probably make you think a little bit about what routes you took to in different scenarios also.

Here is a photo from the article of a basic route tree:

2f131ebd9723b50d6e3c471f38f02556_original.png

As you can see, there are nine basics routes on the tree. However, routes like drags, angles and wheels aren't even listed. As a sim player, its important to incorporate as many of these concepts into your gameplan as possible. Not only does it keep it "sim" and you won't be accused of cheese, but you'll also be a lot less predictable for your opponent. Eventually good players figure out how to shut down your "go to" or "money" plays. Great sim players, though, are diverse and keep their opponent guessing, much like a real NFL coach.

Take a few minutes to read the article. I guarantee it will at least make you look at how and why you run routes and what you are trying to accomplish by doing so.

Happy gaming!