Video Games Being Sold as "Parts" Could be on the Horizon

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Electronic Arts COO Peter Moore stated in an article on GameSpot that times are changing for gamers and that the way we buy games is going to change. Moore said that we are entering the "Golden Age" of gaming and that the digital age will change the way we buy, and play, our games. Moore also mentioned that we, as gamers, need to embrace that change.

"I think the challenge sometimes is that the growth of gaming... there's a core that doesn't quite feel comfortable with that," Moore said. "I don't get frustrated, but I scratch my head at times and say, 'Look. These are different times.' And different times usually evoke different business models. Different consumers come in. They've got different expectations. And we can either ignore them or embrace them, and at EA, we've chosen to embrace them."

One of the biggest complaints of gamers recently has been the deluge of microtransactions that are making their way into games now. Moore mentions the music industry and points to Napster as changing that industry. He indicates that music fans were upset having to buy full CD's when they only wanted a few songs form that CD.

"We just have to embrace it," Moore said. "We as an industry have to embrace change. We can't be music. We cannot be music. Because music said, 'Screw you. You're going to buy a CD for $16.99, and we're going to put 14 songs on there, two of which you care about, but you're going to buy our CD.' Then Shawn Fanning writes a line of code or two, Napster happens, and the consumers take control."

Moore seems to be indicating that games are going to go to more of an a la carte model in the future, where you only buy and pay for the parts of the game that you actually want. That seems like it could be an interesting concept assuming that the "complete" versions of games would remain around $59.99.

So how would this work?

madden-15-presentation-5.jpg

Let's look at a game like Madden. How could Madden be served up in a buy-what-you-want format?

First, we will assume that the core game is included with a "play now" function and that all of the teams, rosters and stadiums are included. Then "add-on" modes like Connected Franchise Mode and Online Play would be offered as separate (or even stand-alone) features. This would allow gamers who aren't interested in a franchise mode (or who are only interested in franchise mode) to pay for only those portions of the game that they actually intend to play.

Is that a good thing?

I think it is an interesting idea (if indeed that is the intent). However, game publishers would need to make sure that the entire "package" (meaning all modes currently available in the game) can all be added for the same price as you would pay now for the full game (generally $59.99).

If this model were to happen, it could, conceivably, allow a new section of gamers to explore games that they otherwise would not buy. For instance, I have a few buddies who like to play Madden against friends but aren't interested in Franchise Mode or Ultimate Team. If you could get them the core game that allows them to play quick matches and online head-to-head for, say $40, you may entice them to buy the title when they otherwise may not have.

Obviously, this model can be expanded upon even further with shooters, RPG's and other non-sports titles. Games like Call of Duty or Battlefield could offer just the offline campaign mode or the online multi-player mode to gamers separately. They could also give you base map packs (which they are already going to) and offering additional maps for a fee. In this case, you might pay $40 for the online multi-player version that has maybe eight maps and then, for $20 more, be able to add another 8-10 maps. You may wind up spending about the same for the game as you normally would, but you would get more total maps. Meanwhile, the game is capturing new fans who may just want to play the campaign mode but were not willing to pay $60 for it.

It's an interesting concept and one that I am somewhat curious to see which direction it heads. I've already heard that modes like Ultimate Team could become standalone versions of the base game in the near future. Being able to buy only the "modes," or portions of the games, that you actually plan on playing is a novel concept. We just have to see if the publishers stick to the intent of keeping the "full package" of their games similarly priced to where they are now. Or, will they try to gouge consumers for more money to get the "complete" games that they are already enjoying?

What do you think? Is this a trend in gaming that you hope to see develop? Or do you just want to see things stay the way they are?

Last edited:

Guiser98

Contributor
This is a pretty good concept. If I want to just play Ultimate Team or just online I can pay less than those that use all the features? Count me in! Hope this develops how you mentioned.