Verticals and long passes

Knockout511

Starter
so I know this year it seems like it can be abused a bit and I find my self worried about doing it now. I been practicing with the bills and they a run heavy team who do well with play action. One of the plays I love doing on first down to catch my opponent off guard is a fake run followed my Sammy doing a verifical and harvin doing deep post and clay does an out. harvin has a fast release and high speed so works well and Sammy can jump like crazy. I have had the ball knocked down my real players and ai but when I do plays like this people say I'm just using the aggressive catch op ablilty. Basically I'm just worried people see deep passes as cheese know. Anyone else feeling the same way? I'm really a sim player but the bitching of the new system has got me worried. I love seeing Sammy jump and come up with it, or seeing him have it but then knocked out last second, feels like a real nfl game

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
From the test that majesty and others have done the deep ball works a lot more on draft champs then it does in CFM. But don't worry about bc if someone is doing that during the league and abusing it then they will not last long.

mycaddy

Starter
I think DC and H2H online games are meant to be more arcadish and CFM more sim and I think EA knows that I dont think you will see it nearly as much in CFM... Plus if you see it too much then as georgiafan said they will be gone quickly

Knockout511

Starter
I figured as much, also I just hope people dont get so fed up with it in H2H that they think its unsim like in CFM. I just think i have potential with sammy for long bombs lol, I love setting up the Play action deep pass, all game Ill run and get some one use to the formation and they are like "oh might be a run again, better put a extra guy in the box" then Boom! Play action fake and long pass to Sammy for 30 Yards! Takes like 15 run plays for that to work though lol. Someone I know is in a Sim league and they were talknig about limiting the long pass to 3 a game and I think thats silly.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
The one fear that I have and I haven't tested it out as much as majesty has and will is whats the risk for the offense to throw it deep? If at best the defense can hope to knock it away and not intercept it then I could see how that could be a problem. But like I said I haven't tested it out all that much but I know from the test that majesty and caddy did then if you have a elite WR and then that helps your odds of completing it.

mycaddy

Starter
Hard to get picks 1 on 1 but if you throw into double coverage you get more picks especially from tips... and CPU does a good job IMO in double coverage of 1 db for pick and playing the wr...

Knockout511

Starter
Hard to get picks 1 on 1 but if you throw into double coverage you get more picks especially from tips... and CPU does a good job IMO in double coverage of 1 db for pick and playing the wr...
I agree fully, been times where I try and force it to avoid a sack and the safety comes and tips it then the cb gets the ball. I really like fighting for the ball this year, just seems like so many people have had bad times online that they don't want to bother with it

mycaddy

Starter
I thnk that is ok... If you throw into doubel coverage you should get punished... If it is 1 on 1 it is a 50/50 ball

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
All of those tendencies come from real NFL stats. I don't make up "silly" meaningless stats. :p We try to simulate the real life NFL as much as possible, within the context of the video game. But Peyton Manning completed the most Go routes in the NFL in 2013 with 36. That's 2.25 per game. And that led the league. So I think 3 is being generous haha. Not to mention that stat includes fades.

The "route guidelines" are also based on 30 completions. So, essentially, if you are completing more than 1 bomb every 10 completions, you may be exploiting the AI. Now, with that being said, the completion pct on those types of plays in the game pack1797 and I did was about 40%. As you can see by the chart, the real life comp % on those is somewhere between 35 and 55% depending on the QB. What that means to everyone in the league is that if you complete 30 passes per game (which is unlikely with 10 min qtrs) and complete 50% of your long bombs, then you could probably throw 5-6 per game and complete 2-3 of them. Which, oddly enough, is right in line with NFL averages :)

Knockout511

Starter
All of those tendencies come from real NFL stats. I don't make up "silly" meaningless stats. :p We try to simulate the real life NFL as much as possible, within the context of the video game. But Peyton Manning completed the most Go routes in the NFL in 2013 with 36. That's 2.25 per game. And that led the league. So I think 3 is being generous haha. Not to mention that stat includes fades.

The "route guidelines" are also based on 30 completions. So, essentially, if you are completing more than 1 bomb every 10 completions, you may be exploiting the AI. Now, with that being said, the completion pct on those types of plays in the game pack1797 and I did was about 40%. As you can see by the chart, the real life comp % on those is somewhere between 35 and 55% depending on the QB. What that means to everyone in the league is that if you complete 30 passes per game (which is unlikely with 10 min qtrs) and complete 50% of your long bombs, then you could probably throw 5-6 per game and complete 2-3 of them. Which, oddly enough, is right in line with NFL averages :)
Oh some nice stats in there lol