Trade Value Guide

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I mentioned before about posting this and decided to do so after seeing the trade go down in L2. Now, I'm not calling out pack1797 or woodsmall12 as I can see how both sides could have viewed the trade. However, I wanted to give my take on trade values and something that you guys can use when making trades with each other (or possible the CPU).

The younger the player the better. Players near or over the age of 30 start losing value quickly, especially with the way the regression system works in this game. Don't expect much (or give much) for a player approaching or over 30.

Contract

The more favorable the contract the better that it is for the team, obviously. However, players who have huge contracts (near or over $10M per season) lose value considerably. You can buy two good players for $5M each per season. On the other side, players with only one year remaining on their deal lose value as well. Its possible the team acquiring them could re-sign them but nothing is guaranteed. Keep your available funds and cap space in mind when dealing with these players.

Value By Position

Quarterback (1)

The QB is the most coveted position on the field and rightfully so. They (generally) touch the ball on every play on offense. Also, if you have a QB with a strong arm and good accuracy to all parts of the field, they can be extremely difficult to defend against. If they have some speed too then even more so. A top flight QB in his 20's with a reasonable contract can be worth one or more 1st round picks.

Example: Jay Cutlers traded for multiple first round picks

Defensive Tackle (2)

No other position in the game (besides quarterback) can have the impact of a powerful DT. They have the ability to have an impact on nearly every defensive play. A star defensive tackle can be worth a late 1st round pick or more, especially with a favorable contract.

Example: Richard Seymour traded for a 1st round pick

Cornerback (3)

Although cornerbacks can be thrown and run away from, no player on defense has the ability to change the momentum in a game like a cornerback can. Not only can they pick off a pass and take it to the house, they can also put fear into opposing QBs and shut down an entire side of the field. Having a true shut down corner can make the rest of your defense better just by being on the field. An elite QB can be worth a mid-to-high 1st round pick.

Example: Darrelle Revis traded for a 1st round pick

Safety (4)

Much like defensive tackles, safeties have the ability to be in on almost every defensive play. A safety who has the range to cover sideline to sideline, the coverage to make plays on the ball in the air and the power to knock balls loose and create fumbles is hard to find. That is probably why you do not see many high profile safeties traded. While probably not worth a 1st round pick, a star safety is probably worth at least an early 2nd rounder, if not more.

Middle Linebacker (5)

I can tell you from first hand experience what a nightmare playing against an elite MLB can be (see Brian Cushing - Texans). Not only will they likely be in on a majority of the opponents running plays, but they can wreak havoc on passing games, making it nearly impossible to throw over the middle. Theories differ as to what a middle linebacker is really worth as some teams think you can stick any decent, thick LB in the middle. However, if you have on that can cover, shed blocks and lay the wood, you should probably keep him or expect to get a high 2nd or better for them.

Defensive End (6)

While this position is probably coveted more in real life, defensive ends can still have a big impact on defenses in Madden, especially in the 4-3. An elite defensive end can not only get you double digit sacks totals, but they can help greatly in shutting down the outside run game and HB screens. The example below is probably extreme for what you get from DEs in Madden, but you should still look for a 2nd round pick or better if you have an elite DE.

Example: Jared Allen traded for four picks

Outside Linebacker (7)

A lot depends on if the team is running a 3-4 or a 4-3, but outside linebackers can be among the biggest difference makers on the defensive side of the ball. A 3-4 OLB that can rush the passer and cover is extremely valuable (probably a 2nd or better). Meanwhile, a 4-3 OLB, can still have good value (though probably not as much as a 3-4 OLB0.

Wide Receiver (8)

There are several examples in this league of wide receivers with speeds in the 70s putting up very good numbers. While it is great to have a wide receiver who can fly and stretch defenses, most teams can get by with mid-range WRs who can simple hold onto the ball. The value can vary depending on the player, but very few WRs are worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick unless they are fast, can catch and return kicks.

Running Backs (9)

We've seen this trend in the NFL and I think it holds true in Madden, running backs just aren't worth a ton. You can be successful with slower, powerful backs that you claim off the waiver wire (see Carlos Hyde last year). Speed backs can still be shut down but are generally lighter and more susceptible to injury and fumbling. Much like receivers, very few RBs are worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Offensive Line (10)

In the NFL, great left tackles can be worth a decent draft pick as they are usually protecting the star quarterback's blind side. A center can have good value too because they set the blocking and call out the defense and act like the middle linebacker of the offense. Guards and right tackles are generally guys who couldn't cut it at those other two positions and are filled in where they can be. That's not to say guards can't be worthwhile, especially for a running team, but you can usually find serviceable linemen in free agency and in the middle rounds of the draft. The fact that they never touch the ball and can only really single handedly impact a play by blowing a block means their value is limited. It is even worse in this game as skilled user can dominate a much superior CPU controlled offensive lineman with stick play. Personally, I think few few OL in this game are worth more than a 4th round pick. If you have a great OL, keep them. If not, sign or draft some guys that can fill holes for you.

Patience and Expectations

The last thing I can say about trading players in Madden is to be patient. Players are only worth what someone will give you for them. You might get a great offer from someone but someone else may give you something more. Or you might have a guy that nobody wants. I would suggest everyone shop their players openly in public (Group Me and the forum) for a day or two before making a move. You owe it to your team and your fans to get the best value possible out of your players ;)

Draft Pick Trade Value

Here is the draft pick value chart as well to help you gauge the value of your draft picks.

Draft Value.png