Tips for how to run 3-4 Defense

Lyric4christ

Starter
So, I've played a lot of Madden in H2H and have most success with 4-3 defense teams. The 3-4 defense, in my hands was never good enough to stop the inside run and in H2H, they will abuse you. So I stopped and got something that worked.

However, now, I've pulled a team with a 3-4 personnel set and zero good tackles - so I can't even run a 4-3 defense (at least I don't think so - and I've already declared Baltimore Ravens 3-4 defense as my playbook/"defensive coordinator").

So, without teaching me your secrets....any 3-4 coaches out there got any pointers for a head coach with a new "defensive coordinator"?

If you were to switch to a 4-3 I think you could do it,
Corey Leugit would be a DT in a 4-3 scheme
Kendal Reyes would probably be a DT as well but you would have one spot set up already

For defensive ends it would be Ingram and Jerry Attouchu

Middle linebacker would be Donald butler
ROLB would be Manti Teo
LOLB would be either Conner or Perrymen

The way the league is set up you can interchange OLB with DE, DE with DT, and all linebacker positions can be interchanged, this is just for the depth chart not for switching positions.

You are also allowed to change your playbook before the season starts so if I were you I would switch to something more comfortable and just play the players in the spots you want them in then draft or sign free agents as you like for your scheme, but that's how you run a 4-3 with Chargers

woodsmall12

All-Star
Me personally, I typically won't change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 because ur player attributes are usually built for that scheme so u might see a drop off in production

If u do make the switch I would do my homework first and scroll thru the schemes to see what attributes are most effective for a 4-3 DT compared to a 3-4 DT ... Otherwise I would start drafting this yr w the intention of changing ur scheme next yr ... A quicker way would be to pick up FAs and make trades to solidify the scheme you wanna roll with

Other users will have a much can better perspective but this is my approach before I go diving in and end up screwing myself out of a season ... Lol

Lyric4christ

Starter
Great points. I lacked the creativity or courage to try it. I'll review tonight since preseason hasn't started:) I still have some time ;)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Here is a primer I wrote last year:

http://px1sports.com/threads/madden-15-3-4-basics.1394/

I, personally, have no secrets. I'm willing to share everything I know. The better we all are the more competing and fun the elegies are. A lot of guys feel the same way. We aren't one of those sites where we keep things to ourselves. We want to help everyone improve if possible

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
BTW, I've had the #1 defense as both a 4-3 and 3-4 on 15. It's about your personnel and play calling. I run a lot of base Cover 3 and Cover 1. I subscribe to the Nick Saban philosophy on defense. Give them 2-3 towards each on 1st and 2nd and make them make a play on 3rd. I don't blitz a ton but it makes it effective when I do. Don't try to get too cute or creative. Sound, positional defense wins championships.

Lyric4christ

Starter
BTW, I've had the #1 defense as both a 4-3 and 3-4 on 15. It's about your personnel and play calling. I run a lot of base Cover 3 and Cover 1. I subscribe to the Nick Saban philosophy on defense. Give them 2-3 towards each on 1st and 2nd and make them make a play on 3rd. I don't blitz a ton but it makes it effective when I do. Don't try to get too cute or creative. Sound, positional defense wins championships.
Sound good. I'm listening. I might stay with it and see all because of your thread you posted. It looks very versatile as a defense and can become creative...

this is the truth right here

Glen Cieske

All-Star
I'm rolling with the chargers but I'm using the 4-6 defense, which uses the 335 as nickel.

In the 3-4 the best thing to do is change up the formation to match field position or run tendencies. (Ex. Over, under, stack) pinching the D line or slanting the D line will help as well. Never rush 3, always bring minimum of 4 guys. Bring your best edge rusher in passing sets and you should be successful.

Lyric4christ

Starter
Thanks. It is interesting that 3-4 has four rushers all the time. Seems like it should just be a 4-3. I might run Patriots playbook since it has both sets and pick up the best defender as available.