San Diego Surf | NBA 2k17 MyGM | Franchise Report

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
The NBA is undergoing a massive change this season as four expansion teams are being added to the league. Sources within the league indicate the move was made to offset the three-plus superstar teams that have become popular in recent years. The league was looking to add parity among teams and has chosen San Diego, Seattle, Baltimore and Cincinnati as the expansion cities.

NBA 2k17 MyGM Expansion Teams.jpg

Seattle has widely been speculated as a home for an expansion team after the Sonics left for Oklahoma City. The Seattle franchise will resurrect the Sonics moniker and look to win back their loyal fan base.

The Cincinnati Royals are another resurrection as NBA basketball returns to the Queen City for the first time since the Royals left for Kansas City/Omaha in the early 80's and became the Kings, later moving to Sacramento.

Baltimore was once home to the Baltimore Bullets in the early 50's and has been without an NBA franchise ever since. They get life more than 60 years later despite reports that claim NBA isn't economically viable in the city. The Barons will do their part to prove the economists wrong.

San Diego has twice been the home base to an NBA franchise as both the Rockets and Clippers called America's Finest City home. California's second-largest city has been without an NBA team since 1984 however, after the Clippers bolted fro LA (no pun intended Chargers fans). Basketball returns more than 30 years later as the Surf, the team's new nickname, will try and see if a third time is a charm.

------------------------------------------------------

User's note: Initially I was looking at Las Vegas as my expansion team but realized 2k would put both Vegas and San Diego in the Pacific Division. I really wanted to keep San Diego so decided to scrap Sin City as they were slightly less economically viable. I also realized it made sense to brink back the Sonics as well. There were too many people using them already so I didn't want to play as them though. I decided on the Surf since I'm a big fan of San Diego having lived there and visit regularly. I did, however, almost sway myself to Baltimore after putting together some pretty solid uni's. Alas, I decided to stick with SD and tweaked their uniforms a bit. Should be interesting to see which of these four teams wins the quickest and which approach they each take in building a team.

Last edited: