Practice squad. The dos and the don'ts.

pack1797

Staff member
This topic has come up since we've moved into the regular season, and I among others have had some issues with how to fill and handle our practice squad, while remaining within our league rules for free agent signings and whatnot. I thought I'd address it here, and give everyone a heads up so that we can all get on the same page with this new franchise mechanic.

The benefit of having a player on your practice squad is that even though they aren't on your active roster, they will still receive xp during training and game planning. Only younger players are eligible to be placed on your practice squad, and other teams can sign players from your squad just like they were a free agent. That's the large and small of it, benefit wise. You can develop young players who aren't quite NFL ready yet.

As we all know, cuts are made each week of the preseason until we get down to a regulation 53 man roster. Starting in week 4 of the preseason, however, instead of cutting these players, we are given the opportunity to place them on our practice squad instead, and they are not counted as free agent signings. For this to work as planned, you should wait until after your preseason week 4 game to make cuts, and the you will be given the option under the Big Decision tab on your franchise homepage.

Now here is where I messed up, as maybe some of you did as well. I made my cuts before the game, and then filled my practice squad from the list provided on the depth chart screen. This basically equated me to signing ten free agents, although unintentionally, which is of course completely against our rules.

My solution was to release all but one of them. Although I didn't do it intentionally, and anyone could have signed a guy from my squad if so inclined, it isn't right for me to leave them there.

Long story short, if you filled your practice squad incorrectly, release all but one of them. Honest mistakes happen, and we're going to look in the future to possibly alter the rules for signing players to practice squads. Thanks for the long read, and please pm me if you have any questions. Thanks to Mike and Woodsmall for helping me figure this process out.

Matt

dspbuckle Luis3250 BigTexas18 pack1797 Paytonno1son Tigers20 blahblahyea7 Burns JerseyBorn NightHawkTH32 Danperez woodsmall12 kutsch47 Duv49ers Shadez OldWhiskey CJTHA1 tehbest13 Futuriistiics StormsWarning JohnnyPersia abundantlife777 morsdraconis

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, as we discussed earlier, the CPU apparently fills your practice squad. No need to release them as of now as they might just sign them back anyway. We'll look at it more in the coming days and figure out the best way to handle it