Offensive Play Limts

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
We have had some disagreements lately over what is sim as far as running certain plays or concepts. The most questioned plays are counters, HB screens, slants and corner routes. So, we (league leadership) have come up with play maximums based on an average league game. Please refer to this list and abide by the maximums set herein.

*These numbers are based on a 50/50 balance of runs and passes (25/25). Running or passing more or less should slightly alter these maximums up or down.

Pass Routes (Maximums based on 25 completions)

(Updated 1/31/15)

Slant/Cross/Drag - 11
Hitch/Curl - 6
Out - 6
In - 6
Post - 5
Go/Streak - 5
Comeback - 4
Corner - 3
HB Screen - 3
WR/TE Screen - 4

NOTE: Check downs are usually drags, flats or hitch/curl routes so are included in these limits.)

Run Concepts (Maximums based on 25 run plays)

(Updated 1/31/15)

Outside Zone/Off Tackle/Power - 8
Inside Runs - No limit (outside of what is listed below). You must still mix up your plays.
Read Option - 5
Trap - 5
Counter - 4
HB Draw - 5

NOTE: Read option plays would either be an inside or outside zone depending on whether you give or keep the ball. Those numbers should be included in your inside/outside zone totals. Ex: 5 read options, 4 gives, 1 keep = 4 inside zones and 1 outside zone.)

I pulled the NFL passing stats from here and here. I could not find actual breakdowns for NFL run plays so we made educated guesses.

Keep in mind that these are maximums based on an average of 25 completions or runs. You should adjust up or down depending on whether you run or pass more or less. Also, there are 53 possible passes so there should be plenty of variety for everyone. Additionally, you should continue to mix up your routes and run plays. Everyone should try to run at least one or two of every pass and every run (minus the read option) to keep things varied and balanced. Throwing just 4-5 different routes or 3-4 run concepts is not sim and will not be allowed. Mix it up but use the maximums as leeway to adapt to your opponent on a game-by-game basis.

We are not going to scrutinize guys for occasionally going over by one or two routes in one area. These are guidelines to provide competitive balance and an equal playing field. Typically a user going over by one or two routes is not going to affect the outcome of the game. If you lost by two touchdowns, it probably wasn't a couple of routes that cost you. What we are looking for with these is guys that are clearly trying to abuse certain routes by going over by 1-2 consistently or going over by 3-4 in one game or by only running 3-4 different routes the whole game. We are looking for things that affected outcomes of the game, bot trying to create a witch hunt for the guy that may go over by one play here and there.

Complaints

To submit a complaint to league leadership, you MUST go in and chart ALL of the plays in question and submit your findings to pack1797 for review. If you are complaining about a user's use of a certain routes, you must chart ALL pass routes so that we have the complete picture as to what they were doing when passing. The same goes for complaints about running plays. ALL running plays must be charted.

The proper way to chart plays is to watch the play and try to identify the route or run that was completed. Then verify that route via the previous play section in the play call screen. Right the route down and move on to the next play. Then tally each different route at the end.

Complaints that have not been charted will not be reviewed. You must take the time to verify your complaint is valid before submitting it to us.

Penalties

(Updated 1/31/15)

If you are found to have violated any of these play maximums the sanctions will go as follows:

1st Offense: Warning or most offending player = 1-game suspension (Management discretion)
2nd Offense: Most offending player = 2 game suspension
3rd Offense: Most offending two (2) players = 2 game suspension each
4th Offense: Most offending two (2) players and team owner = 2 game suspension each (auto for owner)
5th Offense: Most offending two (2) players and team owner = 4 game suspension each (auto for owner)
6th Offense: Removal from the league

Konvict27, Xxclaywilliamxx, sifukeatis, Paytonno1son, BigTexas18, woodsmall12, pack1797, BlackPaw, Mark, rkjones217, Warren7, NightHawkTH32, Titanman931, Trizzle911, Kwarren3, IAmBPBurke, bruiser

Last edited:

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
FYI, Matt Forte had 108 receptions on 130 targets, that doesn't agree with 1 screen per game. But I have no opinion either way.

So ur telling me all 108 receptions were HB screens? Weird, cuz I would bet money there were HB angles (slant), crossers, HB flat, go routes, spot plays and prolly some others in there. They probably also averaged 70+ plays a game too which skews it a little.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
These are also averages which I think we should try to be close to. But I posted the links to the raw data in case you think I was making it up.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Everyone must "like" the first post to acknowledge you have read and understand these. There is no excuse going forward for not adhering to these guidelines.

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
Does it count if you throw a certain route but is incomplete or picked?

What happens if we exceed the average 25 plays, is the number still the same or does it incrementally increase?

If we go to OT, does the slate clear?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Does it count if you throw a certain route but is incomplete or picked?

What happens if we exceed the average 25 plays, is the number still the same or does it incrementally increase?

If we go to OT, does the slate clear?

No. Only completions

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I updated the runs to shows that inside runs (except traps and draws) are not limited as long as you are making an effort to mix it up. We also do not want guys to have a pen and paper out charting plays. Limiting yourself to three corners or screens should be pretty easy. However, if you go over by 1 in one category are you going to get sanctioned (or even reported)? Probably not. This is moreso for the guys that run 5-6 corner routes a game or that throw 6-7 slants and 6-7 drags a game. Those guys need to be balanced. This is also for anyone who thinks their opponent is cheesy. If they aren't exceeding these limits then they are probably not. Its a guide but one which guys should be aware of and at least consciously making an effort to stay within.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I've updated the play limits, complaint procedure and sanctions in the first thread. Remember, this isn't supposed to be a ticky tack thing where we are looking for guys going over by one route here and there. This is supposed to be used to guide users in how to mix up their plays. It will also be used for users who grossly neglect the rules (by going over by several routes or consistently abusing the same routes). if a guy went over by one or two routes, that's probably not why you lost. Let's make sure to be more cordial to our opponents this year (myself included) and only truly complain (only via PM to pack1797) if it was a substantive rule break and could have decided the game. If you notice something and do not want to file a formal complaint but want to let us know just for future reference, you may do so, but please bring proof so we can document it.

Konvict27, Xxclaywilliamxx, sifukeatis, Paytonno1son, BigTexas18, woodsmall12, pack1797, BlackPaw, Mark, rkjones217, Warren7, NightHawkTH32, Titanman931, Trizzle911, Kwarren3, IAmBPBurke, bruiser