My Robin Ventura Story (today is anniversary of his fight with Nolan Ryan)

danwin

Starter
Today I saw a lot of tweets about today being the anniversary of the day Robin Ventura made the mistake of charging the mound against Nolan Ryan. I have a story about Robin Ventura. On April 25, 1998 my family and I took my father who was diagnosed with terminal esophagus cancer to see his favorite team and favorite player play in Chicago. His favorite team was the Chicago White Sox and his favorite player was Robin Ventura. (Second favorite player happen to be Frank Thomas)

They were playing the Toronto Blue Jays that day and my wife contacted the White Sox to see if there was just something special we could do for him at the game. Basically anything to make a already special day even better. An employee with the White Sox contacted us and told us to pick up a bag for my father at customer relations when we arrived at the park. When we arrived at the park we took my dad to customer relations and picked up the bag that was there for him. In it was all kinds of white sox merchandise. Things like magnet schedules, a cap, posters, etc. Also included were four other things. A ball and picture signed by Frank Thomas, and a ball and picture signed by his favorite player Robin Ventura. It made my father's day! He was so happy but the day wasn't over.

The White Sox won that night 8-1 with Ventura hitting a homerun on the way to going 2 for 3 with 4 RBI's. When he hit the homerun I almost cried. I had hoped Ventura might do something good with my father there but I didn't really expect it.

My father was so happy. Seeing him that happy was something we hadn't seen in awhile. Through all the pain of chemo and just dealing with the fact that he knew he had limited time left to be with us, a smile was sometimes hard see on my dad's face. But that night Robin Ventura helped make my father happy and I'll forever be grateful to him for that.