My Favorite Players

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
As a kid, I think you have a lot of "favorite" players. I used to love Don Mattingly and Mark McGwire. They made me love the game when I first found it in 1987. I also love the hometown hero Kirby Puckett. My all-time favorite players was Ken Griffey, Jr. I had his jersey and a hat I had "24" stiched on. I also love Mike Modano.

Living in north Texas, I also had a lot of "favorite" Rangers. I used to love Steve Buechele. Mike Pagliarulo fit in there too. I guess it was because I was a third baseman as a kid. Then Dean Palmer came along. I remembered him having a coupe 30 HR seasons. I also remember him rupturing his bicep o_O I also remembered him starting off a season really hot one year. I knew for a fact I watched one of the game in Seattle and remember play-by-play man Steve Busby talking about all the home runs he had hit to start the season. I thought it was like 6 or 8 games straight. Something like that.

I went and looked Deano up on baseball-reference and was surprised that he had four season over 30 homers and seven over 20. I thought I remembered one 38 HR season but forgot about a 34 and a 38 after he had left the Rangers. I went through his game logs for his three biggest seasons with the Rangers trying to find that home run streak. I found it in 1992. Three games. Lol. Its funny how you remember things from the past. I think Busby just was raving about Palmer after he homered in his third-straight game to start the season. I just remembered it as a huge feat. Its pretty good to be sure. But I also remember Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes hitting three home runs on Openign Day. Lol

What are some of your favorite players? Did you romanticize them as a kid? Have you looked them up recently? Were they better or worse than you remembered?

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
As a kid my dad was a lakers fan so I liked Magic Johnson then as I got older that turned into Shaq who was also a fan of from his magic days.

Growing up in Georgia the braves run of 14 straight started when I was 9 years old. I was also a big Barry Bonds fan for some random reason.

I watched a ton of wrestling when I was kid more so then any other sport so Hulk Hogan was my hero lol

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I loved Chris Pronger in hockey. He was my boy. I also looked up to Rusty Greer and Roberto Kelly. Then in the basketball world, I looked up to Michael Finley.

Pronger and Finley were the bomb, and always will be. Roberto Kelly wasn't as good as I thought he was as a kid lol. Greer will always be a beloved Rangers fan favorite!

pack1797

Staff member
Rusty Greer's mother was my preschool teacher.

I loved Bo Jackson, Brett Favre, and Lawrence Taylor in the nfl in my younger years. My basketball roots come from the tough guys of the eighties. Barkley, Charles Oakley, Patrick Ewing, Xavier McDaniel, etc.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I liked Pronger for what he was but hated him too. I don't know why lol. I liked Roberto Kelly too. He only had a couple of decent seasons if I remember right but played for quite awhile. Of course everyone down here loves Risty, nobody more so than Kenny Rogers haha.

I like x-man Xavier McDaniel too. He was one of my favorite players when I started watching hoops.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Pete O'Brien was one of my faves too. I played some first base and wanted to be like him even though he was a lefty lol

pete obrien.jpg