Madden 17 Reviews

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Madden 17 Reviews.jpg

The reviews are in from many of the major outlets. Here is a compilation of all of the current reviews for Madden NFL 17. We will keep this list updated as new reviews are posted up to the launch of the game.

IGN - 8.6 | Full review

"Madden has finally found its comfort zone between the tackles, and offense and defense have reached a great balance. The community’s gameplay wishes were granted with a new focus on Franchise mode, led by the Play the Moments feature. Outside of its mood-killing commentators, Madden 17is just about everything we’ve been waiting for since EA Sports took full control of the NFL license. Football is back, and it’s only a yard or two short of becoming an all-time great."

Forbes - 7.75 | Full review

"Madden 17 scores in many ways, and there’s more to like than there is to hate, but we can’t ignore the flags on the field.

Gameplay, presentation and customization have taken strides, but there’s still work to do."

Polygon - 9 | Full review

"After three years of improvement, and two of them improving without having to fix major shortcomings, it feels like the Madden NFL franchise has returned to the glory days of a dozen years ago. Features that are added to the game justify their existence and the result is very little dead weight, exemplified by the serious, long-term crack EA Tiburon has taken at improving the commentary. There are still smudged areas on Madden NFL 17's shine — trades are often tedious, for example, and the game could provide more means to prepare for an opponent. There is so much to do in Madden NFL 17 that it's hard to speak to all of its appeals and improvements. The best I can say is it's the most fulfilling experience one can have with the NFL, short of being one of its players or coaches."

Pastapadre - 4.5/5 stars | Full review

"Madden NFL 17 mostly avoids gimmicks in favor of addressing long-running areas of deficiency in the series. The developers stuck with the progress they made in recent years — aspects hardcore football fans appreciate like penalties and accuracy mattering for quarterbacks — while adding an element of unpredictability that makes the game feel much more like the actual sport."

gameinformer - 8.5 | Full review

"Gamers often use the term ".5" as a derisive tag for a title merely being a half step toward the series' next evolution. While I agree Madden 17 isn't a leap forward, the fact that it rides Madden 16's coattails while creating its own (thanks to the commentary system and some of the trench play) doesn't make it a bad title. If you asked me which I'd rather have – a new franchise mode or the improved line play that's now in the game, it's hard to ignore what I've actually experienced versus a hypothetical. The game is better because of it, and there's no going back"

US Gamer - 4/5 stars | Full review

"EA Tiburon has done a great job of rehabilitating the fading Madden brand, with Madden 17 being the culmination of their efforts. Everything they've tried to accomplish over the past couple years is on display, from the revamped blocking to the smarter franchise mode. There are certainly plenty of issues left to address; but for now, Madden NFL 17 is a very solid football game."

Heavy.com - 8.75 | Full review

"It’s easy for longtime sports simulator franchises to dip in quality during an annual run. Madden NFL has managed to stay on a quality level and this ’17 edition is proof of that. The new ball carrier maneuvers, active player path assist options, the higher chance of blocking field goals etc. better the on-field action. Franchise Mode has gotten even stronger and is the most involving mode within this year’s mode lineup. Presentation wise, Madden NFL 17 remains first-rate. Draft Champions doesn’t do enough to improve upon itself and make it worth keeping within the Madden NFL package. Besides that minor con, the pro’s for Madden NFL 17 make it better than expected."

Gaming Trend - 80/100 | Full review

"Madden NFL 17 boasts some changes that players may not find entirely intriguing. The practice system with franchise has been bumped up, but it still remains a tireless slog that should be avoided. The new commentary duo is breath of fresh air and one that should stick around for years to come. While making the special teams useful again was nice, the on-field action has changed very little. Madden NFL 17 feels like more Madden NFL 16, which isn’t always a bad thing."

Trusted Reviews - 4/5 stars | Full review

"Overall, Madden 17 could use some more fine-tuning – be that in the number of catches or injuries that happen in an average campaign – but it still sits at a very high level, just like its predecessor."

SegmentNext - 8 | Full review

"Despite a handful of minor letdowns here and there, Madden NFL 17 is a proof of EA’s dedication to bringing Madden NFL as a franchise close to an original NFL experience."

Twinfinite - 4/5 stars | Full review

"Madden NFL 17 is all about not fixing what isn’t broken. Unlike last year, not a whole lot is radically different for better or for worse. If there was something that bothered you about Madden in your last go around, you might find that those problems still exist. With each passing year though, Madden continues (albeit slowly) to be more authentic and immersive. EA Tiburon put forth an admirable effort towards providing players of all skill levels some new toys to play with while incrementally improving the experience behind the scenes across all modes. Ultimate Team and Franchise are as deep as ever, so fire up whichever was your favorite and have at it. But if you’ve been sitting on the fence for years waiting for a massive shakeup, better luck next year."

PC Mag - 4.5/5 stars | Full review

"The best (and only!) football game for consoles returns, maintaining all the on-field excitement, and offering enough improvements, to please the most seasoned veteran."

We Got This Covered - 4.5/5 stars | Full review

"After last year’s excellent release, there was no way Madden NFL 17 was going to feel as improved. In reality, though, it didn’t really need to improve that much. The gameplay on both sides of the ball is the best it has been in years, and the tweaks in this year’s release are a big part of that. And while Madden Ultimate Team still has some issues, the improvements made to Franchise mode have elevated it to new heights. It’s now a mode that fans of all ages can jump into and navigate with ease. I said last year that the series has never been better, but after playing this year’s version, I couldn’t have been more wrong."

PlayStationLifeStyle - 8.5 | Full review

"At the risk of sounding too cliché, Madden 17 was the next necessary and logical progression that the series needed to make. The evolution of mechanics, both on and off the gridiron are a staple of what keeps fans coming back each season. With the offensive balance now restored, games will be more true to what the audience consumes weekly on television, while still keeping things at least moderately approachable. Additionally, spending the past nine months focusing on what the fans deemed to be most important is just one of many eye opening steps in the right direction. This may not be the best Madden title ever, but it is definitely the most promising entry this console generation."

Madden 17 Average Review - 8.5

Last edited:

Gubber227

Starter
Forbes didn't reall throw any shade on it. Regardless of this Madden has taken a big step in the right direction. Not everything is gonna be perfect.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Kind of disappointed in the reviews honestly. The Forbes review was a little harsh especially since most of his complaints were relatively minor in the grand scheme. Interested to see what the rest of them will say.

Gubber227

Starter
I ddont read to much into reviews anyways. Its simply someones opinion. Theres gonna be people that hate this game an theres gonna be people that love it. Youre not gonna please everyone

StormsWarning

Contributor
yeah i agree here, from what i have seen, the game looks incredibly smooth, and very fun to play! I watched a lot of the 17 Hour Madden Show and it was really good and great in covering the game, you can tell the devs care about there game and are striving to get it where it needs to be. The reviews off of a one day release, should be more properly labeled, day one review, "i'm excited to be playing football again" never the less the few issue's that are there imo, are very small and i believe Rex & his team will iron them out in a patch, overall i'm very excited to get my hands on the game and to get in and start practicing.