Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This is a question that a lot of football fans ask each other when sitting around at family BBQ's or at their fantasy drafts. Does Kurt Warner belong in the Hall of Fame? I ran across this article on Pro Football Outsiders and it got me to thinking about that question.

yahoo_warner_rams.jpg

Photo via Yahoo! Sports
Warner is eligible for the Hall of Fame next year so this is going to be a topic that will be discussed often between now and the time the voting ends. Take a look at the article and tell us what you think. Does Kurt Warner belong in the Hall of Fame?

Here are some highlights from the article. However, you should read the entire article before truly forming your opinion:

The two MVP awards really set Warner apart. He's one of only eight players in NFL history to win multiple MVP awards. The first four were first-ballot HOFers and the same will happen for Favre, Manning and Brady. Honestly, when does a two-time MVP not get into his sport's HOF?

Warner is the last player to win a MVP and a Super Bowl in the same season (1999). He was a Super Bowl MVP with a record 414 passing yards. In fact, Warner still has the three-highest games in passing yardage in Super Bowl history: 414 vs. Tennessee, 377 vs. Pittsburgh and 365 vs. New England.

If his career ended after St. Louis, Warner would be the Terrell Davis of quarterbacks. However, his late resurgence in Arizona completes his story and should solidify his reputation as a HOF player. Without Warner, there wouldn't be much to say about the Rams and Cardinals; certainly not in the television era.

In those five years, Warner was 8-23 (.258) as a starter. He threw more interceptions (30) than touchdowns (27), which is hard to do in today's game. After losing Super Bowl XXXVI as a heavy favorite, he never won another start for the Rams (0-7) and led the team to more than 17 points just once. Warner was replaced by Marc Bulger, who vastly outplayed Warner in 2002 and led the Rams to the playoffs in 2003-04.

Warner was a little below average with interceptions, because he played in a vertical offense. The fumbles are inexcusable, and they're a big reason he ranks 97th in quarterback turnover rate (5.1 percent). Warner would have the worst turnover rate for any quarterback in the HOF who started his career since 1974.

In his career, Warner was 2-44 (.043) when trailing by at least 10 points at any time in the game. The league average is around 15 percent. In two years, Andrew Luck is already 7-9 (.438) when trailing by at least 12 points (Warner is 1-37). Maybe Luck's an outlier, but Warner looks like an outlier on the opposite end. Teams win about 10 percent of games when trailing by 12-plus points. Peyton Manning's already done it four times in Denver, and he's been there two years. In a three-week span last season, Tom Brady led New England to comebacks of 24, 10 and 16 points.

Warner was 9-30 (.231) at fourth-quarter comeback opportunities, which are only for deficits of 1-8 points. That's below average too, but the interesting part is Warner's nine wins had an average deficit of just 2.2 points -- the smallest average deficit for any quarterback with at least nine fourth-quarter comeback wins in NFL history.

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
After reading them all. I still without a doubt think Warner will be in the HOF. I've always enjoyed Warner. When he won the superbowl with the "Greatest Show on Turf" I was 9 years old. I always remember watching that superbowl, and saying, "I want to be like him someday". Maybe I am a little bias because of that, I always look back and see that I looked up to this guy. I also saw a special on how he was sacking groceries like a year before he was in the NFL. It's a good rags to riches story, so I feel for the guy. What other way to solidify the story for the guy and the NFL than to make him a HOF'er! I've always liked Kurt Warner.

I read the whole article, and with no bias to anybody, I would say it could be 50-50 on this. I still think he edges it out to make the HOF. I could sit here and spew out stats like majesty95 and the article did. Maj summed the major points up well in the main post. I still think the 2 MVP's, the SB, and the MVP/SB in the same year takes the cake. Yes he has ALWAYS had weapons, Holt, Bruce, Boldin, Fitzgerald, but the point is he is a 2x MVP and SB. He made the plays and got the wins when he needed to. He was an outstanding postseason QB.

In 13 games he threw 31 touchdowns to 14 interceptions with a 102.8 passer rating. He has the highest completion percentage (66.5 percent) and passing yards per attempt (8.55) in postseason history.

The man was electric. When he was on he was on. Too bad he wasn't on all the time, or always had a good team, but the man was good. I want to see him in the NFL HOF. He also wasn't always the healthiest player, which can be a major downside. He had some injury problems in the 02-06 slump. He only played 35 out of 96 games. I think the major factor that should solidify is the fact he came back strong, and ended well with AZ. Without it, he doesn't make it.

2 more points I just want to throw out there.
  • Holds top 3 passing records for Super Bowl games
  • Most passing yards
PUT THIS MAN IN THE HALL OF FAME