How Did You Get Your Start in Sports Video Games?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
My girlfriend and I were talking about the leagues and some of the issues with Madden last night. Somehow the conversation turned into how passionate I was about games growing up and how I got to where I am now. She thought I should share it with you guys. I don't want to make this a thread about me though so I want to hear about what got you guys into sports games and how you wound up in sim leagues. I'll still share my story for those who are interested.

The Beginning

I started out playing sports games back on the regular Nintendo when I was in elementary school. I would play Baseball (yes, that was the actual name of the game for you youngin's lol) and write out lineups for the teams. All we had was generic teams like California and New York back then. But I would create lineups of real players and pretend that they were the guys batting and pitching and keep box scores from all of the games I played and compiled stats for the entire season. That transitioned into Tecmo Super Bowl which we played all the way up to middle school (several years).

Love Affair With EA

Middle school brought John Madden football and NHL hockey, both of which I fell in love with. I also loved World Series baseball but wanted EA to make a game. So one summer I put together a five or six page feature list for a potential EA Sports baseball game plus 26 pages of rosters for every team complete with stats and sent that to EA. I had actually done this a few times, minus the rosters, for Madden and NHL. I would send them my wishlist for next year's game every year. I don't know how much they read, but I do know that my last name made it into NCAA the year after I sent my wish list to them. Maybe it was coincidence? Who knows?

Live Play-by-Play

When I got to high school my dream was to be a play-by-play commentator for a Major League team. I used to sit in front of my Sega Genesis and turn the volume off and do my own play-by-play for World Series baseball. I did it at times for Madden, NHL and the EA basketball games too. I entered a video productions class in high school and did play-by-play and color commentary for our district football games and the school's basketball and baseball games.

Love Turns to Hate

After high school I went out into the working world and finally had to pay for my own games. That's also when I found forums. I began to develop a sense of entitlement and an expectation about what I was owed for my hard earned money. I became one of the biggest critics of EA on forums for many years. I spewed venom and made assumptions about what we should be receiving. I began hating the games more for what they weren't than I enjoyed them for what they provided me. Surprisingly, during this time, I was also playing Madden tournaments for money and paying my rent with them. It was a weird love/hate relationship.

Roster Czar

During my time of criticism, rosters were one of the things that drove me the most crazy. I could never understand why my beloved Tar Heels never had the right players and why some guy were white when they should be black and vice versa (oh how enlightened I was when the lawsuits happened). So I began editing rosters on my own. It started initially with, I believe NCAA 98. The first year you could edit 12 teams for your dynasty. That evolved into me taking rosters from PSX Sports and updating them with my own ratings edits. That transitioned into doing the same with Operation Sports rosters. I would usually do a ratings edit for the beginning of the season for dynasties to use and then again around bowl season.

The Birth of PX1 Sports

Eventually I created the freencaa14rosters.com site to house all of my rosters along with all of the free rosters from the community. I had also joined a site that ran sim leagues and began running leagues for them for both NCAA and Madden. But I didn't agree with the way some things were done over there. While it was a great place to find a lot of leagues in one place, every league was run by someone different. They all had their own twist on sim and they all kind of had a different approach to handling things within the leagues.

Eventually, I decided to leave that site and merge freencaa14rosters.com into a new site that I named PX1 Sports. My goal was to to not only create the most authentic representation of the NFL within the context of a video game, but also to run all of our leagues by the site or site admins so that we could provide a consistent experience to each of our members.

This is also when my stance started to soften on criticizing the devs of the games that I played. I started to learn how one character that was left out or misplaced in my HTML or CSS code could completely change the entire website. I spent hours looking at code trying to find the one character that was making this look wrong or distorting that page. I also started exploring what goes into being a game developer (naturally thinking I could do it too). I realized very quickly how insanely complex the whole game making process was and that HTML and CSS was a painful enough experience for me.

The Evolution of Sim Leagues

Initially, when I started PX1, it was just a hobby and I ran our leagues on the side while mostly keeping the same format we picked up from the site I had left. However, last year I decided that I wanted to change the way that people thought about sports gaming leagues. Online streaming was a reality and online gaming had grown leaps and bounds. So I started the CFA, our EA Sports UFC league. We had members pick rosters of fighters (kind of like fight camps) and then put on live cards just like the UFC. We would run 10-12 fights, all in order, all in one night. We kept rankings and had title fights. It was a lot of fun and something that nobody else out there was doing.

Then Madden came along and I decided to run league Red Zone shows (again, being the first to do so). We only did two last year because of schedules and production time, but one of those broadcasts had 200 people tuning in to watch us on Twitch. This year we decided to expand our league offerings (mostly in VIP league) to not only more Red Zone shows with better production value, but also live play-by-play broadcasts for also, as far as I know, the first time ever in Madden leagues. As you can see, we try to do things a little differently here. We don't want to be a run of the mill league site. We want to have the most unique and engaging content, provide a consistent and uniform feel through all leagues and push the bounds of what people think is capable in relation to sim leagues (and leagues in general).

----------

So, there you have it. Hopefully I didn't bore you to tears. That became much longer that I thought it would when I began it. However, I'd love to hear how everyone else got into sports video games and how you transitioned into sim leagues like the ones that we offer though. I think it will be a great way to get to know each other and see how each of us became the sim players we are today. Hopefully it will help us pass some time while we wait to kick things off as well.

Austin88

Prospect
mine wont be that long, lol. But basically, i started off with Call of duty. For those who dont know, Call of duty is basically the scene of online gaming, I'm only 19, but traveled to different places to compete iin cod tourneys etc. eventually got good and started making money off it.. It was almost like my job. i had to stream on the MLG.TV channel for certain amount of hours, post youtube vids all that. So, cod was my main game.. The advanced Warfare came out lol. Made money off it but not enough bc i just wasnt impressed with it.. So, basically i got into madden just this year, literally the day this game came out, was when i really got into it. I had no idea about what formations to run against what, i didnt know any of that, still dont know all. But this league, and the few people ive talked to within this site helped me understand better, and its a learning progress for me. Going from making thousands playing call of duty to a game where I'm not the "guy" anymore is a tough transition for me lol, but I'm down to learn and i feel like you guys, and this league/website will help me do that, and so far i appreciate all of it. My father started coaching football thiis year and i work on his staff and it just excited me to be around it, so thats how i got into madden this year, still lots to learn but I'm down for the ride for sure

RedSkinzHog

Contributor
It goes all the way back to 1978 I was 7yrs old got an Atari 2600 for Christmas and was playn that football game everyday it was only three on three but it was fun and that's what got me hooked after that any video game system that came out with a football game I was on from the Commodore 64 with their Xs and Os football to Nintendo Tecmo Bowl , I even had a Coleco Vision... I remember Atari came out with an arcade football game where 4 people had to play I dropped many quarters in that one....I remember how excited I was to get a Sega Genesis and for years I would only buy football games with the system slowly I get into the baseball games with the PS1 and Sega Dreamcast... When XBOX came out I got my first none sports game which was Gears of War but still mostly played Madden which I always thought I was average at best until our local Best Buy and Buffalo Wild Wings sponsored a tournament with sim gameplay rules I paid the $5.00 entry fee ended placing second out of 186 people and winning a PS3... I got into their playoff tournament and this time placed 1st out over 200 entries ....So even though my online record was like 23 - 57 I found out if I played against people with sim rules I was actually pretty good that's why I did a google search looking for sim leagues and came to find out about PX1 Sports!!!

mycaddy

Starter
First I want to say majesty95 I have been in many Madden leagues and still in some others currently (that also have not started in M16 yet :mad:) and this is the best one I have been in which is weird saying having not played a single game that actually counted yet... But the community is great communication is great (which is huge to me) you and pack1797 work hard and having ran successful leagues myself I know how much work that is because communities like this do not just pop up and run themselves... Not to mention the content and having a place to explore ideas and in addition we talk about things outside of Madden and even outside of video games...

mycaddy

Starter
That being said my beginnings in sports video games probably started with the Atari 2600 playing the basketball or 1st & 10 football (not sure which came first) they were jus stick figures the basketball was 1 on 1 full court with some weird shaped ball. The football was 5 on 5 (I think) same weird shaped ball...

Next I had an Intellivision... That basketball game on there was so cool. You had a budget and had to buy your team... it was 3 on 3 but you also had bench players and it was the first game with skill player ratings... the players mimiced real NBA players (ex Professor Q was modeled after Dr. J or Stilt Chamberlain was you guessed it) I loved that game and if xb1 made a remake I would go buy it immediately even with a full $60 price tag...

I think the Sega Genesis was next but I also played a game on the super nintendo (I think it was call all pro sports. I remember the field was diagonal) I know Madden came out and I played this and Madden at the same time.... But I have owned every Madden since the original John Madden came out on the genesis... I know there was one on Apple before then I didnt own that...

I got into live when it started out as Lakers versus celtics and that whole series up until 2k took them out (actually thinking of getting live this year which if you asked me last week I would say that would not happen but they are looking good so far this year)

I have played others sports games (TIger Woods, Gran Turismo, Forza, UFC, Fight Night, WWE (maybe that last one isnt a sports game not sure what to call it))

pack1797

Staff member
I've been gaming since the 2600. It's always been my time killer/stress reliever. Gecko bowl was the first football game I remember playing constantly, because Bo Jackson was a man among boys, and I'm an Auburn fan. Got into Madden early on on the genesis, but honestly played the old ea basketball games the most, as it was my favorite sport growing up.

Eventually, I got more into football as I got older. NCAA was my game of choice, but I also got either Madden or 2k, whichever got the better ranking in egm. I played consistently up until 13 on the ps3. I tried online play, and hated it. People running the same garbage over and over, quitting if they were losing, etc. Offline got boring fast. I never purchased a copy of Madden 25, and thought I was done with it.

I'm a drinker. So after I got my ps4 and discovered twitch, I would go online and watch guys stream games I was interested in. At this point in time it was UFC. Found a guy streaming online matches and talking about it. I was about half lit, so I started chatting with him. The guy was majesty95 I sent him a friend request, and a few days later, he invited me to join a ufc league he was starting up. I said sure.

So I joined the site here, got in the league, and had fun. Met some real assholes, some of which I consider my friends now. Then Madden was getting close, and I got asked if I was interested in being in a SIM Madden league. I was half lit, so I said sure.

I've been here just over a year, and I can say without question, this is the best core group of guys I've played games with, period. I ended up as part of league leadership, another time Mike asked and I said sure, having no idea what I was signing up for. It's been a learning curve to say the least. It's also been a long strange trip.

I've seen cheese and I've seen excellence. I've heard tales of jungle cats in people's personal business, and been presumed to be BigTexas18 s father. I've got half lit and agreed to commish three leagues this year. I've never regretted hanging in there, because not only am I a better player than I was before I got here, I've met some damn fine people that I would go to bat for if they needed me.

Moral of the story is, never say you're done with something. One night you might be half lit and watching a stream, next thing you know, you're part of a community that you never knew was out there. Lesson learned. I think I'll have a drink now, and hope majesty95 doesn't ask me to cosign his mortgage. ;)

When I was about 9 years old my cousin introduced me to the NFL by inviting me over to watch the charger games. It took about two years for me to become a full fledged fan and my first season as a dedicated fan was in 2006 when L.T had the magical MVP season. After that I had to start playing the madden games for myself, I had dabbled before but madden 2007 was my first madden that I bought for the original Xbox, played with the Chargers of course. The only other games that I could ever get into were RPG's. Everything from bioware was instantly a must play for me. From Star Wars Knights of the old republic to Dragon age to my favorite series Mass effect. The fallout series was also great. I noticed that the reason that I could keep buying madden year after year was because I could role play as a coach or gm which was always my favorite part. It wasn't until 2013 that me and my friends walked into the Microsoft store in fashion valley mall and my love for madden exploded. They had a madden tournament and I instantly fell in love with the competitiveness of it. I got second place that day and before that I had never really played online so I started to compete on Xbox live. The place ran tournaments every month and after I won the next tournament they offered me a job as their sports tournament guy and I would go on to win about 90% of the madden tournaments for the next 2 years and a couple of FIFA ones until the madden scene started dying out. Even though I loved playing in tournaments I knew that my passion was franchise mode and this year I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago playing football and I had nothing but time staying home so I finally went out and searched for a league to take my passion of running a franchise and being a GM to the next level and found this site on Google.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Oh boy let see.

The Start

Madden 94 on the Sega Genesis was my first football game. Back then I would play a season as the packers and destroy everyone, I was 6....it was a great time. From there I got Triple Play 93, NBA Jam, and Madden 95 from what I remember. Back then I choose to go outside and play sports instead playing games (Little League baseball, neighborhood pickup football and basketball games). I was a huge NFL fan around this time, this was also the time Brett Favre was in his prime, I dressed as him for Halloween for 3 straight years, me and a friend (he ended as my best man in my wedding last year) would "draft" football teams, QB-HB-WR and play 1 on 1 football in my yard and keep stats.

Franchise

I still to this day (even after numerous concussions in high school) remember the first year Madden had a Franchise mode. My best friend and I stayed up all night playing it, he choose the Colts and I choose the Chargers (Peyton vs Leaf) and Peyton got a career ending injury in year 2 and his team was fucked lol. But from there him and I would play numerous franchises and sim 10 years in one night.

Other gaming

My first real experience with organized online gaming was from Counterstrike 1.6. I played in CAL (Cyber Athletic League). My team and I would have weekly practice sessions that could last from an hour or 3. This was one of the most enjoyable times in my gaming career so far, I may not have made money but just seeing your team of guys climb the leaderboards was a blast. Unfortunately our team went there separate ways because of work/college.

Real Life Football Experience

I played 5 years of organized tackle football, couple years of flag and a boat load of playground ball. I played Quarterback for my high school team and my claim to fame is when my JV coach let me call the offensive plays the entire year. I lost a lot of interest in playing football my senior year due to my coach (more on that later). But 4 years after graduating I went back to my old high school to start coaching (my HC got fired). At this point is when I learned how bad of a coach I had when I was in school. I have now been coaching for 6 years. I have attended numerous clinics, watched online seminars and learned from everyone possible (social media is great for this). I spent 2 years as a Freshman assistant, 2 years as a Freshman Offensive Coordinator, last year I was a Varsity QB coach / assistant Offensive Coordinator / JV Head Coach, and this year I am the Varsity WR coach / Assistant OC / JV HC. I enjoy being a play-caller and I'm hoping to find a job as a Varsity Offensive Coordinator so I can run an offense that I have designed. Overall I absolutely love it and if anyone wants to talk strategy or how to beat something let me know, im always up for the conversation.

Madden/NCAA Leagues

I joined that same site as majesty95 did, I was recruited off Operation Sports by a guy that I'm now good friends with to play NCAA 13. I loved the camaraderie and competitiveness from everyone. The sim aspect was awesome and I loved it especially with my play-calling background.

I think it was the next year I joined the same Madden League that majesty95 was in. Halfway through the year, I was starting to lose interest and I believe that's when majesty95 recruited me to come here and join an NCAA league. I took a year off last year after getting married and taking on more of a role at the high school I coach at. But I'm glad to be back, I'm glad to see where this site has gone in the last year and I cant wait to see where its going.

mycaddy

Starter
I've been gaming since the 2600. It's always been my time killer/stress reliever. Gecko bowl was the first football game I remember playing constantly, because Bo Jackson was a man among boys, and I'm an Auburn fan. Got into Madden early on on the genesis, but honestly played the old ea basketball games the most, as it was my favorite sport growing up.

Eventually, I got more into football as I got older. NCAA was my game of choice, but I also got either Madden or 2k, whichever got the better ranking in egm. I played consistently up until 13 on the ps3. I tried online play, and hated it. People running the same garbage over and over, quitting if they were losing, etc. Offline got boring fast. I never purchased a copy of Madden 25, and thought I was done with it.

I'm a drinker. So after I got my ps4 and discovered twitch, I would go online and watch guys stream games I was interested in. At this point in time it was UFC. Found a guy streaming online matches and talking about it. I was about half lit, so I started chatting with him. The guy was majesty95 I sent him a friend request, and a few days later, he invited me to join a ufc league he was starting up. I said sure.

So I joined the site here, got in the league, and had fun. Met some real assholes, some of which I consider my friends now. Then Madden was getting close, and I got asked if I was interested in being in a SIM Madden league. I was half lit, so I said sure.

I've been here just over a year, and I can say without question, this is the best core group of guys I've played games with, period. I ended up as part of league leadership, another time Mike asked and I said sure, having no idea what I was signing up for. It's been a learning curve to say the least. It's also been a long strange trip.

I've seen cheese and I've seen excellence. I've heard tales of jungle cats in people's personal business, and been presumed to be BigTexas18 s father. I've got half lit and agreed to commish three leagues this year. I've never regretted hanging in there, because not only am I a better player than I was before I got here, I've met some damn fine people that I would go to bat for if they needed me.

Moral of the story is, never say you're done with something. One night you might be half lit and watching a stream, next thing you know, you're part of a community that you never knew was out there. Lesson learned. I think I'll have a drink now, and hope majesty95 doesn't ask me to cosign his mortgage. ;)

I loved your story and it had me laughing and I learned if I ever want you to do something get you lit then ask you and I think I can get it done so next time I see you in here and you are lit I will have some questions for you :)

simulationfl

Contributor
It's been a strange road for me and sim football.

It all started on a football handheld - I can't for the life of me remember the name - but it was just a black screen with red lines and if your user-controlled red line ran into another line, that's when the play ended. That game was a blast, and I played it till it quit on me. I went to Sunday school, which always let out at noon so right when I got in the car, I'd get into football mode with that.

As a 24-year old, I wasn't a typical one. My first console was a XBOX and I was just never into gaming as a kid. I was, however, into football and into making my own reality. I was the hit in the neighborhood. They used to sell glow-in-the-dark footballs, so I'd invite friends and guys in the neighborhood on Saturday night's down to our long stretch of street to play glow-in-the-dark football. We'd get started at like 10 p.m. on a Saturday night so the old people couldn't bitch. I got cones and set them up as end zone markers. I used chalk to mark the yard lines and I got flood lights for my birthday so that I could set them up in the streets. It was something no one else was offering, it was our own league.

I started playing Madden on PC - I still remember the ambulance running over everybody lol. The PC version of Madden with Michael Vick on the cover was a very good game! I believe that was '05.

In 2006, I was taken to my first football game outside of high school or college. It was an Arena Football game between the Tulsa Talons and the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz. My Dad got us seats right behind the team benches. At halftime the coaches got into a fight as the two teams headed to the locker rooms. On the last play of the game, Tulsa threw a Hail Mary, bouncing off of three players hands and finally to a Tulsa player for the game-winning score, 59-58. I still remember so much from that game - it's the greatest football game I've still ever seen in person. It was then that I started to understand what I was passionate about. The NFL is great, but having a league I can call my own, that I can make my own, is even better.

Shortly after that, I got my XBOX and I got Madden, NFL2K5 and Blitz: The League. The one game that captivated me was Blitz - not because it was the best game - it was far from the best game - but because it was different. Players and teams had their own stories and identities. It was a new league. I used to play as both teams, right down the results and keep track of the standings. Eventually, I figured out how to make a decent web site so I could edit my league at school in the computer lab - which was amazing. After a year or so, the XBOX stopped working, but something new had come along.

I got a XBOX 360, later a PS3 and got All-Pro Football 2k8 and Madden. Again, having the NFL was awesome, but being able to create my own league was even better. I created an 8-team league, recorded commentary, had a website but I didn't stream anything. No one knew about it, nor did I think to even take it public.

A few years later, Backbreaker hype was real and I decided I would take my vision to the public. Create your team, run your franchise, control your destiny off the field. Take the best of both worlds. Let you control your team before game day, than once game day arrived, it was just like watching the NFL for the user - only instead of watching your favorite NFL team, you were watching YOUR team. That was in October 2010.

In 2012, the World American Football League launched with 12 teams with a successful season, but on NCAA, after Backbreaker flopped. After poor CPU v. CPU play in NCAA 14, we switched back to All-Pro Football.

My sim football experience has only ever been about one thing, creating an experience for the user that a video game cannot possibly do. I want to help provide that same experience to PX1 Sports' users as well.

For those that don't know, the WAFL is now the Simulation Football League - the SFL, which I currently commentate, am Commissioner of and design the website for (www.simulationfl.com). We are in our fifth season and our playoffs start the day before the NFL season begins. The final week of our regular season is this weekend - out of 6 playoff seeds, none have been decided. We are expanding, looking for players, coaches, new owners and new league members to help us continue to create our unique experience and make history. Our Championship Game is September 27 at 4 p.m. - majesty95 and I will be 2 of 4 people who will be part of our commentary crew for that game.

I'm excited for our partnership with PX1 Sports, to reach a brand new audience of players, coaches, owners, sim football fans. And that is my, I apologize, lengthy story of how I got into sim football gaming!

mycaddy

Starter
It's been a strange road for me and sim football.

It all started on a football handheld - I can't for the life of me remember the name - but it was just a black screen with red lines and if your user-controlled red line ran into another line, that's when the play ended. That game was a blast, and I played it till it quit on me. I went to Sunday school, which always let out at noon so right when I got in the car, I'd get into football mode with that.

I had that same game... and I have that sound in my head now

mycaddy

Starter
simulationfl reminded me of something I did that I didnt mention. In NCAA I use to create my high school team and make them a college team... I wish twitch existed then I would have wanted to do the same thing he does with NFL 2k8 another thing I did was in Leagues was the team I actually played for (Eastern Michigan University) and try to win the national championship...