Drafting - Madden vs Real Life

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
So I had this thought and as I mentioned when I signed up I haven't played madden in a few years. I think I still know the answer but wanted to double check as this kind of thing is hard to test out.

In real life you could argue it but in general the positions that are usually drafted in the first round are QB, WR, LT, DE, DT, OLB, CB. The other positions HB, TE OG (though that's changed lately), C, ILB and S you can wait till later on in the draft to find a starter.

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase my question but what positions are more important in madden then real life and vice versa? I would assume HB would mean more and OL would mean less.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
You will see high projected HBs but I'm not sure they are any more important. You can fill in with mediocre HBs and get get production. LBs are probably the ones you see the fewest of in the 1st round from what I remember. I don't think they do a bad job with the draft. And it's changing again this year so hard to tell how it will go.

My MO has always been to rank guys in order of talent and take the best player available. Not sure how everyone else does it. Need plays a role a little but outside of QB, you have a need for multiples at every position so I don't think you can have too much talent.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Me personally, my running game is typically successful based off my offensive linemen ... no point in drafting a stud HB if your line cannot open holes ... had a bunch of issues last year as the Chiefs until I was able to increase my linemen's attributes to a more acceptable level against the competition ... Charles was easily shut down until we opened up holes and that gave him room to sprint down field

As for safeties, I won't draft one high unless I am extremely desperate or he is an absolute stud or a game changer

Some guys don't really utilize the TE so it has allowed good ones to slip in the draft ... That could change this year with so many users and their style of play ... also if speed has really been cranked down then I wouldn't expect to see as many fast TEs which would cause people to continue to draft TEs later in the draft

priestmvp

Starter
in my past experience it hasn't really been position but rather attribute specific in regards to what goes first and that attribute is SPEED. Speed is and has always been at a premium at every position. It's always been most expensive to upgrade and so people always love to get fast players wherever they can.

Adaws820

Starter
I agree with priest when scouting I always look for speed usually on the offensive side and I look for players on defense that will fit with my depth chart

Glen Cieske

All-Star
It all depends on your roster and what you are trying to do.

When I'm building a team I look for my cornerstone players. The ones I'm building around, that is, if there isn't one already in place (QB on OFF/ NT and MLB on DEF) and those I look to grab in the 1st round.

If I have a team that is already a contender I look at going for any holes in the depth chart, then I look for any aging players or players I might lose to FA and try to find their replacement.

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I draft off my team needs. I had to draft quite a few lineman last year. And found some good ones. I've always been lucky per say when it comes to the draft too. I found a projected 6th WR drafted in the 4th round and had 1st round talent. He was a 71 when I drafted him and was 89 after 2 years. Daryl Tyson was the bomb diggity. HB's don't need to be allstars. I drafted a projected undrafted HB in the 7th round 73 overall who gave great production but he wasn't all that spectacular. Was just fast. But by then I had a brick wall for a line. All 90's

Adaws820

Starter
I don't look for qbs anymore cause I get too into it if I do it'll be 2nd or 3rd round I'll be looking for a HB and OL men cause I need to focus on running and protecting the run cause I already know Carr to Cooper is a deadly threat