Chris Rock on Baseball

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Colin Cowherd was talking about this on his show yesterday. I then saw it being talked about on Facebook and other social media. I finally watched it and thought I would share it for those that have not seen it.

Rock has an interesting take on baseball and why black America doesn't really care about the game anymore. His major point is that baseball is kind of stuck in the past with their unwritten rules. He makes the point that in the NFL and the NBA you can celebrate a big play and it is not frowned about. Whereas with baseball, if you celebrate too much, you will likely get thrown at in your next at bat (or a teammate will).

I hadn't really thought about that much until this video came out. On one hand, I played baseball my entire life. I understood that if I "showed up" a pitcher I would likely get thrown at. I was taught to control my emotions and act respectfully towards both my opponents and the game. On the other hand, I see where Rock is coming from. Great athletes can play basketball and football and be able to express themselves. They can "showboat" if you will and get on YouTube or SportsCenter.

Baseball can continue to be the game of yesteryear where you just put your head down and do your job. Keep your emotions in check and try not to offend anyone (unless of course you are hit by a pitch, then it's apparently acceptable to start a bench clearing brawl). Baseball can continue to function like the game that was created over a hundred years ago. But if it does, will it turn into that game, where only white people play and watch it?

I don't necessarily agree with the showboat mentality. Like I said, I grew up playing baseball and was taught that there was no "I" in team. But our world has changed. Young kids today (of all races) have grown up watching guys celebrating touchdowns and big dunks and other big plays. They see them every night on SportsCenter. They watch them on YouTube.

Our society is not the same as it was 100+ years ago. Other sports have adapted and changed to fit today's culture. Like it or not, that is our culture today. If baseball wants to get the top athletes in the country (or the world) then they are going to have to adapt as well.