Chicago Bears owner Lee Gordon has called a press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyShred612

Contributor
*members of the press shuffle into the room, and there is that bit of electricity in the air that always accompanies a surprise press conference. Has someone been arrested? Has there been a trade? Is a long-time player announcing their retirement? There is a riser on the floor in front of a navy blue Bears backdrop, and a podium and a projector screen in the middle. The buzz dies down as owner Lee Gordon, general manager Phil Emery, and head coach Marc Trestman file onto the riser. Trestman and Emery take a seat as Gordon takes the podium.*

Gordon: Good afternoon, everybody, and hello to everybody watching online at home. Hope you're all doing well as we head into Week Two. It was good to start off 1-0 last week, but in the NFL, you can never rest on your laurels. Six weeks ago, when I first greeted you at my introductory press conference, I mentioned big plans to take us into the future of the NFL. Phil and I have been working tirelessly since that day on a plan, and we are proud to announce that we take the first step into that future. Take a look for yourself.

*the lights dim and a slideshow of images of the old Soldier Field pops up, pre-renovation. It slowly transitions into images of the current Soldier Field before fading to black, and the sound of a roar is heard before a CGI render of a brand new stadium appears on the screen. It appears classic, yet thoroughly updated with a largely expanded seating area*

Gordon: This is the future of Bears football. This is the new Soldier Field.

*the sounds of camera shutters increase*

Gordon: Set to finish construction for the beginning of the 2016 season, the new Soldier Field will retain its historic place along the lakeside while featuring a vast array of improvements over the current stadium. History is important to us, and we must respect our past a founding franchise as we plan for our future. Location is key -- we are staying right where we are. We've also stuck with a very classic, very traditional, very "Bears" design. It almost looks like an old Rose Bowl game could kick off any moment. This is a back-to-basics design that we think our great, hard-nosed Chicago fans will love and embrace.

While we keep history in mind, we move forward with fantastic top-of-the-line amenities. Deluxe suites, expanded parking, a full range of cuisine from peanuts to crab legs at reasonable prices, you name it and this building will have it. This is a massive investment, but no less than the Chicago fans deserve. As one of the biggest markets in football, it's time to have a stadium that reflects this fanbase. We strongly believe in our design and know that this will make Chicago a prime contender to host Super Bowls down the line, as well as provide a great new home for our football team as we gear up to make some of those Super Bowls ourselves.

Speaking of Super Bowls, at the risk of sensory overload, we have one more major announcement today. I'll turn it over to Phil for that. Phil?

*the room is abuzz at the prospect of even more big news. Phil Emery takes the podium*

Emery: Thanks, Lee. We're looking forward to our new home here on the lakefront. As we look forward into our future, my job as a general manager is never done. Marc and I have gone to great lengths to improve our defense over this past offseason, and an opportunity recently presented itself to improve our roster. We've been able to keep negotiations under wraps until the deal was finalized last night, and the player in question has been accommodating enough to fly out here in time for this press conference. Without any further ado, it is my privilege to introduce to you the newest member of your Chicago Bears, Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith!

*Malcolm Smith walks out onto the riser accompanied by Marc Trestman. They pose for a photo op as Smith holds up a Bears home jersey with his name emblazoned on the back*

Emery: A new stadium, a new Super Bowl MVP on our roster, and a new season of football in its infantile stages. This is the beginning of a brand new era of Bears football, one that we believe will contend for multiple championships and take our proud tradition into the future. We'll open the floor up to any questions.

Reporter: Have your plans for a new Soldier Field stadium been approved by the League yet?

Commisioner's Office:

The Commisioner's office is now aware of the proposed plans by the Chicago Bears to build a new stadium. While the Commisioner will note that the Owner of the Bears did not inform the League of his plans beforehand (unless it hasn't been finalized in-game), the Commisioner has gone over the League Guidelines and has found that under the Rules concerning 'Building a new stadium', all that is lised is "***" as such, the Commisioner realizes that the rules were never finalized.

As such, if the proposal has not been carried out in-game, it is requested that the it be halted until the Office can go over potential rules for such cases. If the proposal has been carried out, the Commissioner's office will not penalize the Bears as they weren't technically breaching any guidelines; though the Commissioner would like to request that in the future if there is a rule left unclear, that clarification be sought on the matter before proceeding

(Noted. You said renovations could be done at any time, while relocations needed approval. I took your "****" to mean it was the same as above, ie any time.)

Commisioner's Office:

"***" were placeholders if I remember right. Most likely wanted to think over whether we needed the same new stadium rules as the New Gen Leagues (from which I copied the guidelines). As of now, I don't think we do, but now that the situation has arisen I'll give it further thought and put a guideline in place clarifying one way or the other.

JohnnyShred612

Contributor
Back to the conference... Do you think your team will be a contender in the playoffs this year?

Trestman: Well, we absolutely have the talent for it. This is a great squad, and Phil's done an awesome job bringing in bodies on both sides of the ball this year, and now with Malcolm in the fold with that Super Bowl experience, I think our team is poised for a great run. We can't get ahead of ourselves, though, we're just getting started, and we have to get through quality division opponents before we can set our eyes too far to the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.