Brady suspension nullified ... Your thoughts?

woodsmall12

All-Star
This just took away all of the power from the NFL not to mention open up the flood gates for lawsuits ie: Sean Payton, Ray Rice, etc ... This could get ugly for Goodell and keep in mind that Goodell works for the NFL owners

My concern is how will discipline be handled in the future? And will other sports need to follow suit? I hate to think that certain situations such as DUI, assaults, etc would need to be ran through the court of law before a player has to be disciplined ... If so, suspensions could fall into the following season and basically ruin what the NFL is attempting to do and that is clean up the league ... And yes the NFL over the years has done their share of contributing to the current culture but at least they are trying to make it better ... Your thoughts?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This was overturned because they suspended him based on lack of cooperation, not actually doing anything wrong. The CBA still allows players to be suspended for misconduct outlined in the CBA. This was just not one of them. Its also a damn shame he and the Patriots get off without anything substantive yet again.

mycaddy

Starter
What I expected... They had no evidence... Being suspended for not cooperating is not going to fly in a court of law. Especially since that is not a rule in the CBA. Although Brady had to know during the game I think Brady knew beforehand and think he may have told/paid someone to do it... But without evidence you can't suspend him.

visionz813

Starter
This ruling paves the way for alot of grey area stuff. "Oh I didnt know I took an illegal substance".....whelp since the NFL cant prove the guys knew he cant be punished...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
it was overturned by they tried to punish him over "conduct detrimental" and they had no proof fir that. They also only notified teams of the rules and not players. And the previous ruling in a similar situation was a $25k fine. So they had a lot working against them.

Substance abuse is way different. That's well defined in the CBA. What it could open is other small rules that teams look for loopholes in and plead ignorance. But I doubt it has much of an impact either way.